annoying and confusing problem - IE creates links folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deer Dance14

annoying and confusing problem

Hi everyone,
I have a problem i need some suggestions on because it baffles me to the max.
A few days ago this started happening, out of the blue. Everytime i open my internet explorer window, and under favorites, this Links folder keeps being created. I can delete it, but everytime i start up a new IE window its there again. Anyone know how I can stop this?
Thanks

Well it depends on the folder. It can be a folder created by an application ( such as ICQ ), it could be a folder created by a Spyware infested program.

One way to "get rid" of it, is to go to your Favorites folder on C:\Documents And Setting\<user_name>\Favorites & clicking on the folder's properties & setting it to Invisible. It is still present, so the application in question will not recreate & you will not see the folder when using IE.

C:\Documents And Setting is an example, replace it with the drive letter of the partition on which you installed your OS.

Follow the above advice and check your PC with Spybot Search & Destroy.
Then go to http://www.avantbrowser.com/ and download their browser. You will never use IE again!

(copied from their website:)
Have you ever tried surfing with a tabbed web browser?

Try Avant Browser, an upgrade to Internet Explorer. Avant Browser is a fast, stable, user-friendly, versatile multi-window browser.

Avant Browser is freeware. That's right. No cost to you ever. No limitations. You can donate if you want, but it's certainly not required.

If you want to learn more, surf this site and/or visit our forum.

Your quickest solution would be to simply right click the Links folder and hide it as Didou suggested. If it doesn't disappear immediately then it shouldn't be there the next time you launch IE.

Sometimes you download something on the Internet and it adds a program to your startup folder to make new links every time you turn your computer on. This is really a pain. Some of these things are related to those stupid sites with the dancing girl. Those are the hardest to get rid of. They play with the attributes and make their files read only so you cant delete them. Sometimes you do not even know you downloaded anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back