Annoying beep on E-machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaymastah

hey Everybody,

Here's something that's been grinding my friend's gears for some time. He's got an E-machines desktop which starts up with this loud annoying beep. We share an appartment and I can always tell when he boots it up :]

The only solution that I've found so far, was... to disconnect speakers and reconnect after the PC speaker does the darn noise. The thing is, I don't like that kind of approach and so does my friend.

Does anyone know how can we turn it off? Is there some hidden BIOS setting that controls it?

thanx,
kay

Thanx for fast reply Howard, but I'm not sure if I've explained what the problem was exactly. It's not about the windows beeps nor the login jingle etc. The beep I referred to is most likely motherboard's BIOS beep that announces positive self test...

I'll look into it more thoroughly though.

I`m sorry I misunderstood.

Some mobo`s Soyo for instance have this built in by design. If this is the case with your friends mobo, then I don`t think there`s anything you can do about it.

It runs in my mind that if his computer uses the Phoenix bios, there is a setting to turn off the post beep.

You could always ask you friend to turn off his speakers, or lower the volume before he boots up the system.

Other than that. I`m afraid I`m out of ideas.

Regards Howard :)

so called bummer...

Well, I looked into the matter more closely and I doubt there is much I can do at the point. The BEEP is there to stay :/

The only thing that comes to my mind is a BIOS update, but:
1. not sure about the warranty issues...
2. no guarantee that the update will provide more options including beep disable; personally I'm not into hacking closed source low level code.

Conclusion:
stay away from e-machines if you want a custimizable box - their BIOS is like a Speedo suit - stripped down to bare minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back