Annoying Little Problem with Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend’s laptop which is a Dell .... I didn't tell her to buy one so stop right there ... keeps shutting down at random. I have read a few other threads about similar problems but none seem to be the same as this. She is running Windows XP pro. Service pack 1. The computer will start fine once, then it may run 4 minutes or 4 hours and then just shut off completely, no stop error or anything. Once it does shut down and I try to restart it doesn't even get to the loading screen before the thing shuts down. It does the same thing if I boot into safe mode. I usually have to leave the computer off for 30 mins to an hour before I can get back on the thing. I think it has something to do with a process or maybe a worm but I have run so many virus scans on this thing... and when doing most of them, the computer has shut off. I called Dell Tech Support... and let me tell you... those guys, they're so nice. "Slyvester" had me take off the memory door on the back of the thing and remove the chips to check the memory seeding, after doing that he decided the problem was that infact the memory slots had gone bad and then after the fact, told me that I had just voided my warranty, thanks again Dell! If anyone has heard of something like this with a simple solution besides a reformat or system restore because I have done both, I would be very thankful.

I've had a similar case not so long ago with an Acer DTR laptop (DTR = Desktop replacement). Somehow the CPU's heatsink had moved in the crowded insides of the laptop & wasn't making proper contact with the CPU itself. It would shutdown very quickly, especially when a ressource intensive application was running (anti-virus, adaware, etc.).

Not being a laptop expert, I just brought it to a shop where they opened it, noticed the problem & reseated the heatsink. Things have been working fine since.

As far as the Dell warranty is concerned, I can't really help you there, I don't know what's their stand on the matter. Try calling tech support again & explaining your situation.

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back