Annoying problem with new Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skutty

Hey Guys,
I just bought a 128MB GeForce FX 5200 for my old computer, and after installing many different drivers and trying different configurations, all I still get when I boot the computer with the new card is complete black, I can hear the computer start up fine though. The official drivers that came with the card say they wont install unless the card is in, which is of course impossible due to the black screen. The computer has no built-in graphics card so I can only boot it with visuals when I remove the new card and insert the old one. These are the specs of my computer currently:
666Mhz Pentium 3
738MB SDRAM
20GB HDD
32MB TNT2 (Old card)

Also, whats the easiest way of determinating your mother board?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks, Skutty

My guess would be that your system has an agp 2x slot, and you're trying to use a 4x/8x card which doesn't usually work(it'd work if the card is agp 2x, 4x, and 8x compatible,which it may be.). Also it could be your psu as was mentioned, although a 5200 doesn't use a terrribly large amount of power. Is the card completely seated? Sometimes it takes a good bit of force to get it in(don't break it though). You shouldn't be able to see much(less than about 1/16") of the connector pins if it's in correctly. Did you check your bios settings? Some bioses have options as to what display to use(pci/integrated/agp). Hope it helps.
Vnf4ultra

Thanks guys,
Chances are if the TNT2 is an AGPx2 card then thats as high as my motherboard goes, so do you think my best bet would be a better motherboard? I was planning on one anyway because my processor sucks and the current one dosn't have plug and play USB (really annoying). If so, would you recommend a Pentium4 board? At my local computer fairs, there dosnt seem to be anything below P4 selling anymore, so I think it might be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back