Another Dam_ Dell question!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbrat41

My son has finally had enough and is going to build his next comp'.
I will get his cast off Dell Dimension.
The question is... if I replace the mobo, will I eliminate the DELL from the computer?
As near as I can figure all the Dell sh__ is in the BIOS (?).
The processor, power supply, case are okay (as ok as a dell can be) and I have an extra HDD. I will need to replace the optical drive.
Thank you

are u sure u can replace the dell bios? if the MB stays the bios will still be there unless u can replace the chip it is on which is no little job. the extra HDD u are talking about adding could be put as C: or D: but a new windows cd would need to be bought for the OP System if u want to stay legal.

he doesn't want to replace the bios, he wants to replace the motherboard. I think replacing the motherboard should be enough. Be aware of two things though. 1: Most(if not all) of the software you/your son got with the Dell PC is not going to work anymore(because it won't see the pc as a dell) and 2: for some older models, I believe you also need to replace the psu because dell had 1 pin on the connector placed a bit differently. I read that it could fry your motherboard. I'm not sure if that's actually happening, but when replacing the motherboard of my bro's pc, I replaced it, just to be sure.

Thank you

thanks to both of you.
I was pretty sure a mobo replacement would clean the Dell propriatary stuff out of the mix.
EXON' thanks for reminding me about the pins ( PSU to Mobo) I knew this but had forgotten. The software is not a problem as I have a copy of Win' 2000 and am experimenting with Mandriva.
It's going to take 2 acts of GOD and a gun at my head before I cough up money for Vista.

replacing the motherboard is, essentially replacing the computer.
bear in mind DELL RAM may not transfer to the new board. (Most DELL RAM is proprietary - though not all). Also the PSU is the same.

You may be able to reuse the case, dvd drive, and hard disk and other peripherals. The hard disk will need to be reformatted with a fresh copy of windows.

heck.. for $60 or $70 you can get a case/ps, so why bother with a DELL case if you are going to have nothing but retro problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back