Another guy with inexplicable crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have been reading this forum for about two months since I got my first random restart and Serious System Error message. I have been getting them at least once a week. They usually occure when I am away from the laptop. If it helps the majority occur when I am running BitComet torrenting program.
:blush: Please help me! I have a three month old Lenovo T60 and so while I haven't bothered to reseat RAM or take anything apart I have done everything I could to try to figure out what's wrong. I have run MemTest over 15 times with no errors, I have made a new pagefile, and I have run many diagnostics/ stress tests from the PcDoctor program that came with the computer.
Please help me decode these minidumps I included. I think the problem is a driver but even though I have re-installed and installed tons of new drivers I can't figure it out. :mad:

Thanks so much! :wave:

You crashes are caused by this file sptd.sys which is part of Daemon Tools.
Info found here

If your system has some problems with SPTD installation you can do as follows:

If your OS is already running then go to step 2 directly.
If you cannot boot your PC at all then start from step 1.

1. Boot in safe mode and press ESC key when you see on bottom line of display:
"Press ESC to cancel loading SPTD.sys". This will abort loading of SPTD layer.

2. Open registry editor (run regedit) and browse to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd
Change the value "Start" (DWORD) to 4 (i.e. disabled).
[To re-enable SPTD service change the "Start" value back to 0.]

3. Reboot again in normal mode and check if your issue is solved.

Note that you have to change the Start value in registry back to 0 in order to get SPTD layer working again and Daemon Tools, too (see #2).

You can also download sptdinst.exe ( here for your Windows version) (i.e. sptdinst_x86 for 32bit Windows, spdtinst_x64 for 64bit Windows) and execute "sptdinst remove", reboot to complete de-installation.

If you are unable to boot into safe mode even if you pressed ESC when prompted, boot with your Windows cd into recovery console, log on to your Windows installation (requires Administrator password), change dir (cd) to Windows\System32\Drivers directory, and rename sptd.sys and dtscsi.sys. Reboot to check if your issue is solved. Note that this will probably NOT work in Vista!
Note that you have to rename sptd.sys back after the problem causing the crash is solved in order to get Daemon Tools working.

Thanks

Thanks so much for your reply. I am a little confused because I don't have Daemon Tools. I may have tried to install it at some point but I don't thinks so. I do have Alcohol and PowerISO and Nero but not Daemon. I will take your advice anyway as best I can.

Thanks so much again for your help and reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back