Another network issue (Baystack 450-24T)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay..this is driving me nuts... I am getting irregular ping requests..

Here it is

Nortel Baystack 450-24T switch

Computer A can ping the router and the switch
Computer A recieves irregular (up and down replies) from Computer B
Switch that homes Computer B is pingable all day long from Computer A
Switch can ping Computer B all day long
Computer A can ping all other computers on switch all day long no prob...
Only one computer with this problem

I feel you can pretty much take the router out of the equation here, but not sure...

I have tried connecting to switch and re-entering IP, subnet and gateway information (just to do it)

I have disabled and re-enabled the port - no go

I have switched ports - no go

All same behavior...ping replies up and down

Computer B is gathering data for the application running on the machine correctly...but just not pingable from Computer A - or other computers on Computer A's side - so not just location of Computer A as the problem...

Sorry if this is confusing...
Anyone have any suggestions??

"irregular" means what? Pings get dropped a lot? Ping times fluctuate a lot?

What exactly is connected to where? You have a switch and you have a router somewhere and you also have some computers and probably some cabling between them..

"Irregular" means just how I stated it...I stated irregular at first and then later said "ping replies up and down". I could ping and receive a reply, normal reply / normal size to be spcific and then I would not be able to ping the computer.. It was up and down all day.... but only from one side of the network. If you were connected to the switch directly, you could ping the computer in question all the time...

Odd thing was that from the other side of the network, where the network monitoring tool is, you were able to ping all the other computers connected to the same switch as the computer in question all day without a problem...just one computer was coming back with up and down ping replies all day...

But no biggie at this point...something seems to have corrected itself........for now

.I stated irregular at first and then later said "ping replies up and down".​
Ping normally replies with timing info or 'request timed out'.
After many years in this business, I've never seen either 'ping replies irregular' or
'ping replies up and down'. You can even unplug the cable and still get the time out.
With the interface disabled, you get Host Unreachable.

Are you sure your not seeing an application message from somewhere?
Ping, on Windows, is located at \windows\system32\ping and
on XP is 17.5k version 5.1.2600.2180

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back