Another Networking question....but

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Bone

I couldn't find one that related to my problem..

I have two XP(1 Home & 1 prof) computers online. They are connected thru a Linksys router. Both can do online gaming and there own IP address.

I connot seem to get them to connect to each other to share files? Each one had its share folder all setup.

I have looked up numerious web pages and tried to use XP help but they all haven't worked!

What possibly have I not done or did?
Any recomendations?

thanks

You can refer to any tutorials about networking 2 computers. You router doesn't change things.

Things to check: same workgroups, enable windows networking in software firewall, allow netbios over tcp/ip

Just out of curiousity, what operating systems are running on these PCs? And Nodsu had it right - check those things, and if they are Windows based machines, I would also check to make sure File and Print services are installed on both...try accessing each machine by name and IP address, and create shares on each...these steps will hep you narrow down where the issue lies...

Originally posted by Nodsu
You can refer to any tutorials about networking 2 computers. You router doesn't change things.

Things to check: same workgroups, enable windows networking in software firewall, allow netbios over tcp/ip

Nodsu has got u off in the right direction .
Also Names of workgroup is the same in each cpu,and at least one user resides on both cpu's ( preferably Admin with the same password) Use the Connection wizard on both machines.
Finally XP home cannot join a domain so you must manually connect to assets on the Pro machine or use a batch file.You will know if you are set up right when you get a "connecting to CPU name" in explorer(from the Home CPU) as you try to' Dbl click' some asset on the pro machine.

Thanks for the pointers!!

I have one XP home and one XP professional.

I was doing alot of things wrong...
1) Workgroup names were differnet
2) Didn't Install Netbios w/ SPX/IPX
3) Software firewall
4) Selected wrong menu's on Install Wizard

It works great now! Got them all mapped and ready to go.

Thanks once again!!:grinthumb

I tried to remove one at a time and it seemed that they all needed to be installed.

I will try again :grinthumb

Originally posted by J_Bone
Thanks for the pointers!!

I have one XP home and one XP professional.

I was doing alot of things wrong...
1) Workgroup names were differnet
2) Didn't Install Netbios w/ SPX/IPX
3) Software firewall
4) Selected wrong menu's on Install Wizard

It works great now! Got them all mapped and ready to go.

Thanks once again!!:grinthumb

J I know that you do not need the ipx/spx ,However you said everything is working .Leave it .I use the same set up on my Lan.Ipx works very well behind a firewall without opening yourself up to the internet.I always recieve a' perfectly protected'report when I test my system's vunerabilities over the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back