Another problem, sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loz1234

I've followed the advice in this thread to get rid of the postmorten warning that pops up, but got to finding the file and just deleted it! :(

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic72197.html

any advice, I misread it the first time, it's a registry file

cheers in advance

Edit: also i can't get into my music now because of this

do you mean that you deleted the dr watson registry key? i.e. what exactly is "the file"

also, what do you mean by you can't get into your music, can you not open the my music folder, will it not play or does windows media player not work properly?

sorry about the vagueness but i deleted the whole file that contains the regestry key

ie. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

When i open my music i get a windows error message that restarts explorer.exe. All the files work perfectly though ie. they will play on windows media. It's only when i go into them directly

is there anywhere that i could perhaps re-download the postmorten program by any chance?

you may be able to download it but there are a few options really

1) check your recycle bin - it may still be there

2) system restore to before you deleted the key

3) repair install windows

4) reinstall windows - this is different to a repair install because it will be the same as starting again and you will have to back up all your important files and copy them back after the installation

it might be possible to download the program but try options 1 and 2 first

I've already tried one and two and they didn't work!
what would repair install windows do and would it wipe my hard drive?

see here for repair installation instructions

These steps should allow you to repair Windows system files in Windows XP Professional or Home on your computer while preserving your user files and programs. However, since "should" does not always apply in the world of computers, please back up any critical personal data if at all possible.

it does say that it should keep your files but it would be good to back up your files if you can

no problem, let me know how it goes

do you have something such as an external hard drive to back up your important files onto? you might not need to do it in the end but it's better to be safe than sorry :)

the best thing to do really is to just copy your My Documents folder because you will need to reinstall your programs anyway so you might want to make a list of the ones that you will definitely need again, just in case you need to reinstall them

I just had a further look at it, the error screen thing. It only comes up when i've downloaded a film or something by torrent. When i deleted the film the error screens went. I'm now thinking i should just leave it because other than torrents it's not effecting the computers day to day running.

obviously TechSpot doesn't condone the use of downloading films etc over torrents ;) but if that's the only way that it is affecting your pc and you are ok with it then you can leave it how it is if you want. however, feel free to come back if you start experiencing problems again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back