Another Realtek AC'97 Audio Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

xGrimx

My PC is a CyberPower compilation from 2003 (Yeah, it's old; I know).

Anywho, my issue lies in the audio. For some strange reason, everytime I boot up, my audio is just fine. However, after a time on the computer (It's never constant), the device is no longer deteced. The Sound Controller provided by Windows tells me that I have no mixer devices, but when I check the AC'97 in the Hardware Manager, it says it's functioning properly.

Help?

As far as I know, my drivers are totally up-to-date. The driver says it's from 7/22/06, which is the newest one.

It sounds like your onboard sound chip is dying.

Buy a separate sound card and you should be good to go. Just remember to disable the onboard sound in your bios.

Regards Howard :)

Ah... I was afraid that was the case.

Well, that sounds simple enough. Now the question would be this:

How do I disable it in 'bios'?

Your mobo manual should tell you how to disable your onboard sound.

However, if you can`t find any option to do that in your bios, go to your device manager and disable it from there.

Ah! That'll do fine.

If you wouldn't mind, I have another quick question, this time regarding my 'bios'.

Whenever I boot up, the post screen says that 'something has been changed' and that the 'CPU is unworkable'. Then it gives me the option of continuing (F1) or going to the setup menu (Tab). I figgered I'd go into the menu and see what was up, but when I do, it asks for a password! Now, if I did set a password, I cannot, for the life of me, remember what it is.

How do I get past that?

The esiest way to get rid of the bios pasword is to unplug your computer from the mains and open your case. Carefully remove the cmos battery(it looks like a large watch battery) for a few minutes. Replace the cmos battery and plug your computer back into the mains.

This should`ve cleared the bios password.

In fact, it might be a good idea to get a new cmos battery, as this could be the cause of your problem.

I have the same Realtek Problem- did you solve yours?

Hey xGrimx, did you solve your problem by buying a new sound card?
I think I have the same problem as you... see my post on
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic61715.html
So far no one knows how to help.
I'm kinda annoyed cos my PC is brand new, why should the sound card stuff up already? Is it a manufacturers fault? It's still under warranty..
Would love to hear from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back