Another strange optical drive glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samstoned

we heard it all ,almost every type of cd or dvd failure
I know NEC is the low mid range
been burning with 3520a for looong time.The other day ,after burning a iso of total training ,would not read ,checked settings changed a thing or 2.burned again ,again no read.
burned with a Dell oem that I fixed it now runs as retail dvd burner
all good ,put that disc in the NEC ,would not read
burned some data with both as a test ,NEC reads just fine
changed disc manufactorer burned a iso again and instaled in all my other drives
they read it fine the NEC will not read ISO or image files
it burns all data ,images what ever
plays all but iso????
updated the firmware to 3520AW still same thing
ordered a 20x sata yesterday can't wait

CD/DVD burners have two lasers... In your NEC, one of them has burned out or warped. The other laser is still good

If it is that old, chances are that there is a speck of dust on the burner lens. I could shoot the clown that invented looky-uppy lenses.

You have to be very careful on how you clean a laser lens. Try using a very soft brush then use a commercial camera lens cleaner. Sometimes the laser lens can be refocused by adjusting a small pot (control) on the connecting cable of the laser assembly...

With the low cost of CD writers these days, trying these things is not really necessary. They don't work that well anymore. These things worked better on the first generation lasers though

So what brand burner did you order? Now that Plextor is not making drives anymore and Benq went bellyup. I am considering the LG's. fortunately though I have a stash of Plex 760a Burners still in the box unopened. so having to buy a new burner sometime soon For my personal machine is not a worry. but I do need to replace a Plex 716A that went bellyup with the rest of the machine during a storm.

NEWEGG
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write - OEM $32.99

I bought a bunch of cables for customer builds
with this oem you need your own cables
I would not mess with the nec dvd burner just let it slowly break down
since it still burns and the other drives can read what it burns it will be one of the product burners till it goes completely
on another note memorex sent me 50 16x's free for complaining about some retail dvd's in jewel cases

received drive today Wow
newegg
burns memorex 16x 3.5gb of iso file in 4.2 min
now for the rest of them

Me in plextor had falling out about 4 years ago
as a dealer I bought 6 bad optical drives very expensive bad optical drives n o help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back