Another UK first...

Spike

This is NO JOKE.

The first ever hurricane to hit the UK was about 2 weeks ago, brushing the tip of Scotland. It WAS heading for Manchester, quickly followed by Wales, but luckily it was knocked of course.

"Knocked of course by what?" I hear you ask. It was knocked off course by ANOTHER HURRICANE!

So it's official, from this point forward WE DO get genuine hurricanes in the UK (Michael Fish will be pleased ;). We've never before had one - strong winds, yes. But not a hurricane. NEVER)

Apparently, this hurricane is one of three that have aimed for us in the UK this year, but luckily have missed for one reason or other.

For the benefit of those that want to know, it's name was Hurricane Maria.

A link to a story on it by a climate change 'expert' (never heared of him :))...

...http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100...aces--catastrophic-hurricane---name_page.html

This is bad news for me, I live in the Furness penninsular, which borders morcambe bay and the Irish Sea. If a hurricance comes down the Irish Sea, we'll get a motherload :blackeye:

If anything happens here, at least you'll have one non-fact-scrambling reporter, with the floods that Carlisle gets in normal conditions it might get virtually destroyed! The Lake District mountains will be a barrier, but it won't help us, oh no. The only good thing is that I live quite high, I'd guess at least 500 feet above sea level. However others who don't, like in Barrow-in-Furness, will get smashed!

Thats just too close

Found this link www.nhc.noaa.gov
Here it's 75mph that mark a catagory 1.
Maria was packing a 2.
Hopefully you don't have the levee/dike trouble we had.
Things are changing world wide.
Do you get tornado's too?

Hopefully you don't have the levee/dike trouble we had.

Nope. That's not a problem - we don't have either. lol

As for Tornadoes, we always have had them. In fact, we in the UK get more Tornadoe's per square mile that the US does. There aren't as strong though. We had a bit of a freak one in Birmingham earlier this year though - f3 I think.

Back