another upgrading question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommalden

If I already have a windows ops on my computer, like 98...do I simply buy the upgrade cd to go to 2000 or xp, or do I need to buy the whole operating cd set?

you can upgrade from 98 to 2000 or XP, but first i recommend you make sure that the computer will be able to run windows 2k/XP. in order to run windows XP at an acceptable speed, i recommend that you have at least 256MB of ram, and a pentium III/amd k7 (athlon) processor or better. windows 2000 is not as demanding, nor does it take up as much hard drive space. if you post the specs of the machine i could help you much better.

gotta disagree with you on RAM requirements. Although XP will run with 256mb of RAM it will run unacceptably slow with most modern software. I would not recommend XP on any system with less than 512mb - preferably 1gb.

256 isn't enough to be playing far cry or anything like that, but it's plenty for your typical office applications, web browsing, email, and the like. for games or more demanding apps i would say 512 is the minimum. i deal with many office machines with 256MB of ram, and they can run windows XP and the desired apps (quickbooks, MS office, outlook, IE...) without a problem.

I got an old PIII laptop with 256 ram. It runs fine for surfing the net, email, Zune software etc. Matter of fact, I think the laptop runs better now then it did when I had 2000 on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back