Another Wireless Problem (Because we all love these)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdvdvCurtis

Okay, my modem/router is the Wanadoo Livebox, it came free with our subscription, it acts as a router, modem and wireless adapter, great(ish). I used to have on WPA or WPE security, but the desktop downstairs would always have problems, the laptop was fine. We have recently got a new laptop and the new laptop can pick up the network, but won't connect, just sits on'Waiting for Network' before it closes back to the avalible wireless network screen. I have been on the phone to Alienware and they suspect it is a problem with the Livebox, i have disabled all WAP/WEP security and now all the computers except the new laptop can connect except the Alienware notebook. E

Any ideas?

if the wireless supports both B & G, then set it to G ONLY on all adaptors --
sometime dual mode just gets in the way.

start simple - reset the livebox back to factory settings, make sure windows firewall is turned off, likewise MAC filtering. Make sure you use the correct WEP / WPA key - and always use the hexadecimal version rather than ASCII - some wireless adapters cant take it

and if you're using norton on your new laptop uninstall it and throw it away - it does more harm than good that program.

Chris
www.pcpoorly.com

hnsexeter said:
start simple - reset the livebox back to factory settings, make sure windows firewall is turned off, likewise MAC filtering. Make sure you use the correct WEP / WPA key - and always use the hexadecimal version rather than ASCII - some wireless adapters cant take it

and if you're using norton on your new laptop uninstall it and throw it away - it does more harm than good that program.
simpler still; disable Norton and run w/o encryption altogether.
disable MAC filtering and allow Broadcasting SSID. The connection should be simple. If connected, try your default browser page to prove the connection,
and then immediately DISCONNECT.

Now you can futz with WEP/WPA and repeat the test.

Once that runs, you can fixup the Windows firewall or reenable Norton
(which I use quite successfully regardless of it being C*** :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back