1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Ant-Man and the Wasp will be the last Marvel movie released on Netflix

By midian182 · 21 replies
Aug 9, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Currently being shown in theatres, Ant-man and the Wasp will appear on Netflix once its theatrical run comes to an end. But it will be the last Marvel picture to do so. As per the New York Times, Disney is allowing its licensing deal with Netflix to expire, meaning that, starting with the release of Captain Marvel next year, all Walt Disney Studios releases will move from theaters to the company’s streaming platform instead of Netflix.

All this has left a question mark over the Marvel TV series shown on Netflix, such as Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Would these also migrate to Disney’s rival service? Last year, a Netflix rep said it would continue to do business with Disney on many fronts, which includes the ongoing deal with Marvel TV, and its seems that’s still the case. A spokeswoman for Disney told the Times that there “are no current plans” to remove the Marvel shows from Netflix, so fans can rest easy for the time being.

We still don’t know an official name or possible pricing structure for Disney’s streaming project, though it will reportedly lack R-rated content of any kind. If true, that will probably put a lot of people off, but with Disney also looking to buy back the rights to current and future Star Wars movies, the service could offer plenty of compelling exclusive content.

Permalink to story.

2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 4,418   +2,881

Hello Amazon? I'd like to buy two cases of RAID insect killer and put it on the fast ship program .......

3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,581   +371

Streaming services are going to be the new TV Channels, we'll need 434324 different subscriptions again.

FPSChris, Reehahs and Theinsanegamer like this.
  4. ShObiT

ShObiT TS Addict Posts: 112   +120

A grim future... I think I'll be back to torrenting / Pirate / theft or however you want to call it.

FPSChris, H3llion, Burty117 and 4 others like this.
  5. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Evangelist Posts: 1,368   +1,487

I havent really watched marvel lately, but back when I was a fan, I still would have refused to buy another service.

Modern media isnt usually good enough to warrant a subscription. I just subscribe for 1 month, typically during winter, and binge watch anything interesting. Way cheaper.

Danny101 likes this.
  6. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,070   +1,545

There will be those who flock to this like flies on you know what because they are, as I see them anyway, addicted to it; however, I am willing to bet that Disney's service will not go as well as they think it will. Sony tried something like this - and they have quite a bit of content - and it did not work out for them. My bet is that Disney will want a premium price for this because of the Disney brand, and I am willing to bet that that will also affect how many subscribers they get - not everyone will want to pay the Disney Price and some that might really want the service might not be able to afford it.

So my take is that is that the industry thinks that people want content to stream, which I agree is true, however, I also do not think that the industry quite yet gets that people are not willing to pay premium prices for content that they rarely watch.

Right now, I have the lowest tier Hulu and HD Netflix, plus I get a great deal of content with my antenna - for free OTA, and even with that, I can barely watch all the content that I would like to watch - so I am at my price limit for paid content. I am willing to bet that there are more people like me who have a limit for paid content and will not sign up for Disney, or at some point will stop signing up for paid service XYZ rather that attach their wallets to paid service XYZ's money siphon.

Who knows what the future will bring, but I bet that the industry will eventually figure out that people, especially cord cutters, are not necessarily willing to spend their disposable income on services that are more expensive than what they just cut.

And even though I have Netflix and all these Marvel movies are on Netflix, I would rather rent them for $2.00 at Redbox on Blu-ray anyway because of Netflix compression and lousy audio compared to BR.

7. m4a4

m4a4 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +760

These things always end up free online. So if these companies want to fracture the content pools (making it annoying to get the content the consumer wants), then we'll find an easier way.

wiyosaya, psycros and Reehahs like this.
  8. Reehahs

Reehahs TS Guru Posts: 709   +445

Another boon for piracy.

Eventually you will get sick and tired of all the exclusive subscription services.

Can you imagine if you end up with separate shops for all of the grocery items... full fat milk shop, semi fat milk shop, low fat milk shop, organic milk shop, Jersey cow milk shop, gone off milk shop, about to go off milk shop, organic milk shop, GMO milk shop... so far I have not even covered all of the different milk shops you can have.

wiyosaya, m4a4 and psycros like this.
  9. ghostf1re

ghostf1re TS Maniac Posts: 299   +175

Yeah I'm not interested. I already have a Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu account. I'm not adding anything more to that list. If I want to watch a movie made by Disney, I'll rent it.

seeprime and wiyosaya like this.
  10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 13,920   +3,296

Yeah, I'll be continuing to "stream", from Redbox...

If you've ever gone to a laundromat with multiple TVs, one is always tuned to the Disney channel. It's nothing but the loudest, most obnoxious, liberal propaganda influenced generator of nonsensical noise, you're ever likely to be unfortunate enough to tune in..

So, Disney can stuff their "exclusive content", up the back door of their "magic castle".

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    seeprime, Reehahs and psycros like this.
  11. BobHome

BobHome TS Enthusiast Posts: 40   +17

Not really necessary, ShObiT, just visit your local library. I'm already on their waiting list for this movie. Our library offers movies like this free for a week--better than RedBox. Worth checking out IMO.

wiyosaya likes this.
  12. Axiarus

Axiarus TS Evangelist Posts: 329   +192

Incorrect. New Marvel movies will be streamed to my TV through Emby with a file obtained through...less stupid methods.

Lionvibez likes this.
  13. wiyosaya

(y)
    I keep forgetting about this option.

14. wiyosaya

So, what do you watch, Captain?

Some of the superhero stuff is getting rather repetitive and boring these days, but I have seen things like American Sniper and enjoyed it. Personally, I think the some of the best superhero stuff is on OTA TV these days, but some seem to see politics everywhere.

Then again, with an understanding that things like Lucid Dreaming are proven in a laboratory environment https://www.amazon.com/dp/034537410X/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20 the allegory in some of these movies is clearer - at least to me anyway.

15. captaincranky

Actually, that last thing(s) which fired my imagination were, 1: Josh Whedon's "Dollhouse", starring Eliza Dushku, and, "Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles", both of which were destined to only two seasons of air.

Sci-Fi is really "cut and paste", in that central concepts are borrowed liberally from story to story. Off the top of my head, one plot concept which sticks out for me is, "the negative universe". You'll find that hackneyed device in everything from "Smallville", to Marvel's; "Agents of SHIELD".

And politics and audience demographics are a huge part of character development. My favorite there is casting a black person in what was considered to be traditionally a white person's role. Take Jimmy Olsen being both black and Supergirl's boyfriend. Now there's some serious racial pandering for audience share.

Lemme tell you something, I had a night terror the other night, precipitated by falling asleep with Ion TV overnight. The a**hole shaman begging for money over and over, making claims that, "if you send us money, you will receive miracles tenfold of what you contribute. All the while, I was trapped in an enormous shopping mall with no exits, and nothing but violent hoodlums as the "shoppers". I knew the TV was on, I knew I could make it stop with the remote control, but I was just so damned tired, I rode it out way longer than any sane individual should have.

[​IMG]
    https://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/mike_murdock.htm

I watch Marvel's "summer blockbusters", for the FX. Black Panther was nothing but pure racial pandering. Without the sheer majesty of its scenery, and wizardry of the SFX, it would have been completely worthless.

BTW, if you're trying to antagonize me by claiming there's only propaganda and politics to be found by overactive and vivid imaginations such as mine, you're full of sh!t.

Oh and if you're talking in terms of "allegories" like, "might makes right", "good always triumphs over evil", "and "failed experiments alwats were the fault of the Nazis", a person would have to be pretty damned dense not to notice them.

It's better to, (for the most part), ignore them, and focus on the lusciousness of Gal Gadot's hindquarters.

I'm sure you were probably occupied with films on higher moral ground and comtermporary social significance than, "Wonder Woman", but face it, they made the Briitish minister of peace, out to be Aires, the god of war. Turnabout is fair play, or so they say.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  16. Ravey

Ravey TS Addict Posts: 132   +62

I can't help but feel this is a bad move for Disney. It may look good on paper, Disney, Marvel, LucasFilms. all are all great and have huge fan bases. But is that enough for people to opt into yet another subscription service?

I can only afford 1 subscription service. I really can't see myself switching to a service that focuses solely on Family, Children's entertainment and pure Fantasy/SciFi.

On the plus side for Netflix, this gives them a chance to try their hand at producing their own version of DC/Marvel type movies.

17. ShObiT

ShObiT TS Addict Posts: 112   +120

I get it, but sometimes you just want to hear something loud and see millions of colors just to forget about letters.

18. wiyosaya

Nope. Not trying to antagonize. And any "shaman" saying they will heal you for money is, well, not a shaman.

The "night terror" state you describe is detailed in the book I linked to. Rather than using your remote, saying something in that state like "stop" or even recognizing that it was a dream is a completely different experience. If one recognizes that one is dreaming while dreaming - another world opens which is what I was referring to as the allegory in some of the superhero stuff - particularly Doctor Strange.

As I see it, the "lucid dreaming state" described in the book is what Australian Aboriginals and other native cultures describe as "The Dream Time", and in particular, I think most of western society is missing the mark in describing dreams as "just dreams." And to continue my rant a bit (did you know I was ranting ;) ), organized religions teach that things like lucid dreaming are pagan or heretical because if the general population, at least IMO, were to discover how to use that state effectively, there would be no need for organized religion of any sort. From my experience, lucid dreaming is not an easy state to master, and I am no master of it; however, even the least of tastes of it are not all that easy to describe in words.

As for Black Panther, I thought it was quite good from the standpoint of demonstrating good interpersonal relationships, and in that statement, I am totally excluding all the kick-a$$ scenes. IF (notice the IF) those watching were receptive to it, it could be life-changing. I would be somewhat surprised, given your previous opinions, if you were to disagree with this because certainly we agree there are a number of individuals out there that could use such examples since people in their lives, particularly their parents, have no clue what good interpersonal skills are. Unfortunately, though, I am sure that those who watch it for the kick-a$$ scenes are probably not at all in a place where they are receptive to the characteristics of good interpersonal relationships.

In fact, one of the things I like about Arrow and others including Supergirl is that they also demonstrate the same tendencies toward good interpersonal relationships again excluding all the kick-a$$ scenes. I don't mind that Jimmy Olson is black, nor do I mind that they gave his character a few extra brain cells than the original Jimmy Olson either. Perhaps it is a role that will inspire one person in the world to become a better person than what they are.

So, as you have done previously, be my guest: Shoot this down as naive; however, for some Sci-Fi like Babylon 5, there are at least anecdotal stories out there from people that credit such shows with saving their lives. Same thing with "Once Upon A Time" and others, I am sure.

There is an interesting and short read, at least from my standpoint, from Asimov on science fiction at http://www.sarahfobes.com/sci-fi/asimov-on-science-fiction/ Here's a quote from it:

19. captaincranky

Spare me. Here's the real world: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/5-injured-in-north-philly-shooting-20180808.html

Philly has become Africa east. They're using those same Kaleshnikovs as they do in African militias. Ah, sweet progress. Can raping women to subjugate tyhem be far behind? Oh wait, that often gets proseltzed in "gansta rap" already.

You take on race relations actually frightens me. You have no clue as to what;s really going on.

It boggles my mind the abundance of talent it must take, to have one's head that far up their a**, and in the clouds at the same time.

It oppose the basic rules of matter.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  20. wiyosaya

Oh, I forgot. You are the expert. My apologies.

And here is what is going on in another area - likely between the "other" race - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...y-shot-in-canada/ar-BBLKa11?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Let's not forget the guy in Vegas last year.

Your expertise on what goes on in the minds and awareness of others is fascinating - even if it is completely clueless. Not that I should have to say this, but in no way do I deny race-on-same-race violence, or race-on-other-race violence. Like I said, improvement has to start somewhere; however, it seems you advocate for things remaining the same. To each their own.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I had heard that 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles' was good. 'Dollhouse' had no appeal for me. Also, I did not find 'Wonder Woman' that appealing. And for me, having a "Minister" be the baddie is no revelation.

21. captaincranky

It really is asinine, (even by your naive standards), to compare one grotesque act of insanity, to the civilian and police deaths overall, in our inner cities..

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/06/us/las-vegas-gun-deaths.html

BTW, where di you drege that crap up from Canada, it happened in 2014.

I guess we should ascribe that to "stitistical manipulation", on in common terms, citing facts which support your position, even if the are irrelevant, obsolete, and from a different country.

The Canadians have been begging to have their guns taken off htem for years.

Now be a good liberal, climb under your feather down quilt, and pray nobody pranked you with a pea under your matress.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  22. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 7,277   +566

I think we've had enough personal comments. Back on topic without any personal jabs. Thanks.

CloudCatcher likes this.