Antec 500W PSU Earthwatts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kesler

Is this enough power for my computer. If I did not add everythig please let me know. Thank you
Foxconn mobo lga 775 3.0 cedar mill
1 dvd rw
2 sata hard drives
front: audo, 2usb, 1 sata
rear 120 fan
front 120 fan with led
Windows xp pro
2 gig 667 ram
I will be using a linksys modem and router

In a word... YES... That is plenty of watts. Of course it is not just watts that count. It is the amount of watts on the 12 and 5 volt rails and the overall quality of the power supply. Antec was very good once, but their quality has suffered in recent years

This information should be located on a label on the side of the power supply. If it isn't, give me the model number of the supply and I can tell you from there

From the Horses mouth.......

Antec has an easily navigable website: http://www.antec.com/us/ as does Newegg: (product page here): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=2010320058+50001516+1131414177&name=Antec
Antec stands behind their product, and recently replaced a defective Smartpower350 (cheapie) with a BRAND NEW Earthwatts EA380 at no charge, so they're all right in my book.

As to if a supply is big enough, my (just made it up now) rule of thumb would be; add a minimum of fifty watts to your graphics cards minimum requirements. An extra hundred would be even better.

Feedback?

I have nothing against Antec at all. I'm running a Antec SmartPower 350Watt in my system right now. I have built many systems using Antec cases and power supplies. I have not had a failure yet

Tmagic650 said:
This information should be located on a label on the side of the power supply. If it isn't, give me the model number of the supply and I can tell you from there
antec 500 watt earthwatts

What about the readings from the software that came with my mobo or when I go to bios to check details? Is there a range where they should be?

Tmagic650 said:
I believe it is 17amps on the 12 and 20 on the 5

as with many other Antec models, the Earthwatts500 is made by SeaSonic. SeaSonic a good, well-respected brand of power supplies so there should be no question on quality.

as for the output, Antec rates their PSU's for continous output at up to 50°C (unlike certain "garbage" brands which rate at maximum output at up to 25°C) so you can feel fairly confident in that PSU's output rating.

going by the specs you provided in your first post, your system only requires a little over 200w... that PSU can provide far more power than your system will ever use. going by the specs you provided in your first post, you're using on-board video. however there is still plenty of headroom to power any video card you may have (in case you forgot it in your specs). in fact, it should be plenty powerful for any single video card system (as well as many low/mid-end dual-card systems too)

the point is... that PSU is more than adaquate for your needs (in fact it's overkill for your system). there's no harm in buying the higher-wattage model, but you could easily get by with the 380w or 430w model as well (which may save you a few bucks ;))

:wave:

Ah, KingCody, been away awhile? On an extended vacation perhaps? ;)
Anyways, I concur with KingCody. That PSU will work but is most likely overkill. Get any good-quality 350-400W PSU from Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair, Enermax, Fortron FSP, PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone or Seasonic and you'll be fine.

Gosh, So Much Turmoil........

Antec's "Earth Watts" PSUs have active PFC, and efficiencies of over 80%. Or so they say. The supply only draws from the AC line commensurate with the needs of the computer. So, if the box is drawing 160 Watts at idle, the PSU is only drawing 200 watts, (the 20% loss, right). Anyway, with an oversized supply (which I'm qualifying with ,"within reason"), the thermal cycling of the PSU will be much shallower than with a smaller unit. Which I believe means less heat, and less strain on components, offering the potential for a cooler computer and a longer life for the PSU. Rebuttal?

Who really cares about all this...

Sounds good to those who understand such things as I, but I am one who professes that a "good" 300 watt power supply will power any 500 or 600 watt system requirement just fine

Thank you to everybody who has helped with my business build. I asked many questions because this is going to be my main computer and I wanted to be sure
I did everything I could to make it a solid build. So far everything is running fine. My temps are ranging from 42 to 66 while I am running programs. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back