Antec P180 and Motherboard fixing screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this morning started assembly of a new PC in an Antec P180 case, all going well until I started to insert the motherboard to standoff screws. The only screws that are a) long enough and b) fit the thread of the standoff, have 'washers' fixed to them which seem to me much too great in diameter. They overlap conductor runs and in one instance would crush what look like chip capacitors.

The motherboard as Asus A8N-E. Am I doing something wrong? Please help me.

The mounting screws don't need washers, they can be just regular screws, as long as they only touch the metal ring around the motherboard holes. Mine are hex headed, and also have regular screwdriver grooves in the top.

My screws are as shown in the pictures which I hope (since I have never tried this before) are visible.

They are 15mm long and the washers (not removable) 12 mm in diameter.

Well that failed :confused: If at first etc.

screw27zq.jpg
screw16iz.jpg

OK, this is probably a dumb question but I have to ask anyway because I've had this happen to me before

You have the standoffs (these things) screwed into the proper holes on the motherboard mount area, right? There are many holes for the standoffs to go on the motherboard mount sheet of most cases, and it's because there are so many different screw configurations for the different form factors. If you're not careful you might have put some into the wrong screw holes and are completely missing the standoff when going to screw the motherboard in place.

When the standoffs are in the right place and the motherboard is properly inserted, the standard size PC screw should fit - looks like this

Yes - magically the case came with 9 standoffs already fixed in the correct positions.

I have now found the correct screws in a separate small bag discreetly hidden!

Many thanks to the two of you for taking the trouble to reply.

David

Ah. All is well.

When in doubt, look for the little bag of screws. I'll have to remember that one. :D

I never look for the screws that the case comes with because I have a box chock full of PC screws that came from god knows where. (Probably fell out of the little bags they came in and roamed around the bottom of my many cases until I scraped them out and stowed them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back