Anti-Spyware Reviewed, Surprise Winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealBlackStuff

My favourite computer magazine PCAnswers just published (issue 145, May 2005) their test reviews of various anti-spyware programs.
I wont repeat all the details, but just their verdict and the overall percentage of success.
They gave each reviewed program multiple scan attempts until no further improvement was achieved.
With the exception of SpySubtract Pro, all programs were 'aided' by running CWShredder separately.
The Ease of use etc. markings are x out of 5, where 1 = worst and 5 = best

# 8: 64 %, eTrust PestPatrol
Removal results disappointed; your money would be better spent elsewhere.
Ease of use: 4, Features: 3, Performance: 3, Value for money: 3

# 7: 67%, McAfee AntiSpyware 2005
Great for protecting clean systems, but of less use elsewhere.
Ease of use: 4, Features: 4, Performance: 3, Value for money: 2

# 6: 68%, Ad-Aware SE
Don't expect it to perform a clean sweep if your PC is badly infested by spyware.
Ease of use: 4, Features: 3, Performance: 3, Value for money: 4

# 5: 75%, Norton AntiVirus 2005
Good detection, but removal tools and techniques could be better integrated.
Ease of use: 3, Features: 5, Performance: 3, Value for money: 4

# 4: 78%, Spybot-S&D
A great showing for one of the last free and non-commercial spyware scanners.
Ease of use: 4, Features: 4, Performance: 4, Value for money: 5

# 3: 81%, SpySweeper 3.5
Offers great performance and great options, even for non-XP users.
Ease of use: 5, Features: 5, Performance: 4, Value for money: 5

# 2: 82%, SpySubtract Pro 2.6 (new owners of the still free CWShredder)
CWS removal capabilities alone ensure this tool has a promising future.
Ease of use: 5, Features: 5, Performance: 4, Value for money: 4

And now for the big surprise:
# 1: 90%, MS AntiSpyware Beta (Only runs on W2K, XP and W2K3!)
Microsoft scores with the cream of the crop, but the final version needs a fix for CWS.
Ease of use: 5, Features: 5, Performance: 4, Value for money: 5

I am not all that suprised , after all they receive the bulk of all attacks .They have an army of testers and software design/engineers.They really should be the best.
Good catch Real... P.S. I read that mag a lot ...Too expensive over here though!

I think it may have somewhat to do with where they got it. Giant was the original creator of the software (as evidenced by the service). While I've seen it get rid of stuff that neither ad-aware, nor spybot could I've also seen the auto protection feature eat up system processes on clean machines. I'm interested to see how the final product will perform.

Seems to me like your magazine got a good price on a bucket load of Microsoft Software. :p

My system (a 3-month-old Win XP Pro) was so bogged down by the auto-protect feature of MS's anti-spyware software, I turned it off and disabled it in startup. It made my system unbelievably slow.

It didn't find anything, either -- I guess AdAware has been doing its job just fine.

I've always like the combo of

ad-aware
spybot
Hijackthis
CWShredder
BHO Captor
Various LSP fixers
Prcview
And good ol' manual labor.

We've been loading MS beta on a lot of new builds and reloads. Best thing I like about it is the global antispyware community thingimigig. So hopefull with that recording everything going on, a database of junk should grow quickly. I have high-hopes for it.

And good point, since MS knows their own OS better then anybody, they better dang well know how to protect it the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back