Antivirus problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am new to the forum so please forgive me if I do something wrong. I have a laptop which I use to connect to the internet as I keep my desktop purely for other purposes. On the laptop I had AVG free antivirus installed which was working perfectly and I had regular updates etc. A week ago I noticed that when I was receiving email the pop up email scanner was not sighted. When I tried to do a virus scan and clicked the AVG desktop icon Windows said it could not find the startup file. I reinstalled AVG and the same thing happened. I used windows add/remove and removed AVG. I then installed Avast antivirus and when I clicked on the desktop shortcut I was told windows could not find the .exe file. It seems that I have picked up a virus that destroys the .exe files of these programs when they are installed. Could anyone offer any advice on how I can overcome this.
Many thanks
Terry

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have moved your thread to the correct forum.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of sunmach only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Ok mate, no problem. Thanks for letting me know.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of sunmach only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back