Antivirus Recommendations? (Kaspersky vs. McAfee)

Status
Not open for further replies.
many on this site use AVG

Free anti-virus www.grisoft.com is recommended by many. Updates at least once a day, sometimes more often, and the updates are mostly quite small - ideal for old-fashioned dial-up access!

Stay away from Mcafee when you have a better option. If you have a choice of kapersky, then go with that. AVG tho is free, convenient and simple.

Out of all the reviews I've seen, Kaspersky is consistantly one of the best if not the best. I've installed a trial version myself and found that its actually lighter on system resources than AVG, using only 13MB of RAM.

I've been happy with Panda as a retail AV.
I've used AVG on my laptop for years and on other systems that I don't want to buy an AV for. Been real good for me there.

Kaspersky is like one of those programs where you'll either have people that don't care about it, or have people who are mad followers.

But NO Antivirus program can protect you from the latest virus. NONE. This is obviously because the AV does not have the fix for it yet, because the virus just came out! So steps in what is called Heuristics scanning. Where the AV tries to find viruses by their general behavior and similarity to other viruses. When you read Antivirus reviews, be looking at the heuristic results, as this will be the technology that saves your **** when a brand new virus comes out.
Panda has high marks on heuristics, whilst Norton and McAfee do not. Even AVG is pretty good. I haven't read reviews in a long time though.

Beyond that you want to look at the system resource usage, the frequency of updates, the number of definitions in their database, and how good it is at cleaning off what it finds.

Market hype and number of ads put out, does not fit into the equation. Smiling middle-aged Chinese women in a server room holding a box of Norton cereal, does not constitute a purchase.

happy hunting

Kaspersky all the way....

Well, if you can get them NOT to flake out on you and try to steal all your CPU resources, Kaspersky AV and AntiSPAM are pretty good. You may want to avoid their Antihacker Firewall, though, as even their most recent beta seems buggy. I use EZArmor Firewall and EzArmor Pest Patrol to fill this lack, and to protect myself from spyware conveniently. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back