any help on ntl broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.
my bro got ntl broadband fitted in the other day and didnt want the cables going upstairs to his pc and asked the guy if he could create a wireless network for the pc in the bedroom the guy told him yeah no problem you buy a thing and it connects to the modem and then bobs your uncle obviously the guy who put the modem in ( the sitting room behind TV ) didnt know what he was talking about
does my brother need a wireless router then hard wire it with the pc then disconnect then set up the wireless connection ?

any help will be grateful

You need to buy a Wireless Router, which would be connected to your Modem downstairs. Also you will need a wireless Card which you will need to install inside your pc.

This will allow you to connect to the internet without being connected to the modem without using wires.

I think if you give NTL a call you might be able to get a router and get it fitted it for you by them. Give it a try.

PS.
Alternativly you can get a long Ethernet cable that will be connected to your modem to your upstairs PC.

You need to buy a Wireless Router, which would be connected to your Modem downstairs. Also you will need a wireless Card which you will need to install inside your pc.

This will allow you to connect to the internet without being connected to the modem without using wires.

I think if you give NTL a call you might be able to get a router and get it fitted it for you by them. Give it a try.

PS.
Alternativly you can get a long Ethernet cable that will be connected to your modem to your upstairs PC.

would the router have to be hard wired 1st to get the router to connect to the ISP then move the pc back upstairs then the wirless connections made ?

ya you will have to do that. Mind you its your own fault that you didnt have the modem fitted upstairs like i did with NTL.

Another suggestion would be to move what you have upstairs downstairs and everything that is downstairs upstairs. That way you wouldnt have wires around the house.

if you have a router you can use a wireless access point
don't forget to do the security setup for wireless

Hello I have just posted my problem in this forum while I am waiting for solution I come across your problem which was some time my problem so I tough why not answer you.
What I did bought a router (SWART2-54125) and warless card from QTDS.com connected router to the modem and then my laptop to the router wirelessly and works great. I have also enabled the wireless security WEP in order to make my connection secure. if you need any further help in setting your network please let me know.

Samstoned said:
if you have a router you can use a wireless access point
don't forget to do the security setup for wireless

how do i set up a wireless access point ?

when i hardwire the router to the ISP and disconnect the pc and take it to another room how do i access the router for the connection with it not being on a network ?

Samstoned said:
the great google-er

How To

ive had a quick look at the link mate does this mean i need a pc permanently connected to the router for the wireless to work

you see its not for me its for my brother he's only got the one pc and he wants to connect the router ( wireless ) to the NTL modem and then get his pc upstairs and then connect to the router without wires ? would this work by setting up the router ( hardwired ) then just leave the router plugged into the modem and the electric by itself and then connect to it from the pc with a network adapter ?

You don't have to hardwire the router to set it up, just connect it to the modem and you'll be able to set it up wirelessly i.e. the router and modem downstairs and the computer upstairs.

ive had a quick look at the link mate does this mean i need a pc permanently connected to the router for the wireless to work

what it means is that you will need a computer to directly configure the router first (get the wifi settings, network id, security, modem connections etc). Once these settings are set in stone (so to speak) you can connect via wireless access or wired to the router, which is connected to your modem. Its just the initial stage of it to work.

Although some routers can be set up wirelessly like peter said, but that depends on its software and how to go about it..

the "A computer" i refer to can be your brother's pc, or a laptop that has a LAN port, or any other machine that can read TCP/IP protocols and configure (usualy) a web page style program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back