Any need to install xp???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin997

hi guys,

I am going to be putting a newer motherboard and processor in my 4th computer, and the old parts from that will be going into my lower spec internet pc which is unning xp pro.

My question is..... if i put a newer motherboard and processor in my internet pc, will xp be asked to be reactivated?, or when i have installed the new components will i be able to use xp normally without it needing to be reactivated????? unfortunately i do not have the xp disks by the way.

XP will very likely need to be re-activated, since by changing the motherboard, you should legally buy a new oem xp.
Of course, you can ring MS, they tend to use discretion as to whether they'll let you re-activate it or not.

The "new" automated female voice will guide you through the activation if it is necessary to activate XP at all

You may have problems with XP working well (if at all) when you change motherboards and processors.

Are you changing motherboard manufacturers? If so, the chances are good that you won't even be able to boot XP without getting a blue screen. You will probably need to reinstall because you changed the hardware. That is what I have seen so far.

changing the mobo at all, which often results in a different chipset alters a hardware config file in windows, thats why it fails activation.
OEM versions of Operating systems, should live and die with the pc they are first installed on, therefore if the config file differs on boot up due to a different mobo or cpu to that of its original one then activation will fail and a call to MS is required.
(This was quoted to me by MS themselves, almost word for word)
You just bs them and they will read out your new activation code.

As SNGX said, if you change the mobo it probably won't work. However if you are replacing it because it is dead, and you use the same model, then all is well.

Even going from an agp x4 to an agp x8 mobo will cause problems with xp, it will hang on the agp.sys file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back