Any one know of a program that can do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a semi old laptop. and a very new and nice desktop. what I want is a program that can make my laptop not so obsilte anymore. I want a program that i can put on both the desktop and the laptop. Where the laptop connects to the desktop and the desktop will stream its image to the laptop in real time. but commands can be issued from the laptop. for instance i have a game i can play on my desktop but not the laptop. What i need the progam to do is allow me to load up the game on the desktop (from the laptop) and see the game on the laptop using the mouse and keyboard from the laptop. but all graphics and other processing needs done on the desktop.

I know this is a crappy explination of what i need but I hope you get the drift.

There is a program but it will not be quick enough to play games on (or even watch a movie) because it depends on your network connection and your laptops graphical ability - do a google for gotomypc (citrix system) and sign up for a 30 day free trial.

You are describing any remote desktop software. Performance-wise, Windows Remote Desktop is the best solution. VNC is the most robust and portable.

No, it will not be fast enough to play any action games.

PCAnywhere

Windows Remote Desktop

Dameware mini remote

or

you can just play the games on your desktop like a normal person:haha:

Would love to but, i want it for when im out of town. I have dameware but is not fast enough. oh well maybe in a few years. The reason i asked is because from what I hear the ps3 and the psp will be able to do that. So i thought someone may have made a program to do it with pcs

I think I have done this with my own laptop and PC. I have a router to connect to the net.... so I plug in the PC to the router, and the Laptop aswell. Now the router's IP is 192.168.1.1, when the computer is connected the IP is 192.168.1.2, and the laptop is 192.168.1.3

Now if I load up RealVNC (http://www.realvnc.com/) which is a free remote desktop utility, I can run the RealVNC server on the main computer, and the VNC Viewer on the laptop. When I open the viewer, instead of entering an IP to connect to across the net, I enter 192.168.1.2 to connect to my PC. BUT it is through the ROUTER, so it's realtime! There is no delay that you would get doing it over the net!

If you have a router, check that out with RealVNC. You can see the IP of the machine you're running the VNC server on by hovering the mouse over the VNC icon on the taskbar bottom right of the screen. Don't forget to go into the RealVNC options and set a password authentication, otherwise anyone could connect to your computer.

Hope that works for you! Hope I didn't mis-understand the question.

He's trying to play games over this connection - not going to work even with VNC.

Ah yes very good point lol. I didn't consider that when I replied at 4oclock this morning :giddy: that worked really well for me but I wasn't playing games. I guess the screen wouldn't be able to refresh quick enough for games, I remember how bad it was just watching a video on it. Also you'd get no sound, etc. So yeah - that wouldn't be the best idea. I guess it's not possible then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back