Any Prog Rock Fans in Here?!?!??

almcneil

Techies,

I also happen to be a progger, so I was wondering if there are any others lurking in here? If you don't know what progressive rock is, then you probably won't like it (it's an acquired taste!)

I wonder if techies and prog are genetically linked?:p

Could you give a few examples of progressive rock bands?

I like almost everything, but I don't quite know what is classed as progressive rock. I don't really know any genres to be honest :)

Don't know about current groups, but back in "my day", bands like Yes were the epitome of progressive rock.

The "classic" prog bands are (were): Yes, Genesis (pre-1978), King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer (ELP), Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd, UK, Kansas, Saga

One of my favourite Internet radio station is Aural Moon, http://www.auralmoon.com Check it out if you want to bone up on some progressive rock

Only the pre-1978 Genesis counts as progressive rock. Anything from And Then There Were Three ... and on is not prog rock. They were forced to switch to a more commercial format by the record company back then. Prog rock isn't not a big seller, not then and still not now.

See You On The Dark Side of the Moon......

Possibly not big sellers but "Dark Side Of the Moon" was in the top 100 album sales for a ridiculous amount of time, something like 400 weeks. I'm checking now, don't want to misstate it. From Wikipedia: The Dark Side of the Moon has spent 741 weeks on the USA-based Billboard 200 album chart, the longest duration in history.[7] It is also the fifth highest selling album globally of all time, selling more than forty million units.[8]
I also enjoy the Celtic rock bands from that era. Steeleye, Fairport Convention, but most of all the Strawbs, who were after all, the band that begat Rick Wakeman.

captaincranky said:
Possibly not big sellers but "Dark Side Of the Moon" was in the top 100 album sales for a ridiculous amount of time, something like 400 weeks. I'm checking now, don't want to misstate it. From Wikipedia: The Dark Side of the Moon has spent 741 weeks on the USA-based Billboard 200 album chart, the longest duration in history.[7] It is also the fifth highest selling album globally of all time, selling more than forty million units.[8]
I also enjoy the Celtic rock bands from that era. Steeleye, Fairport Convention, but most of all the Strawbs, who were after all, the band that begat Rick Wakeman.

That is most definitely correct! DSOTM is a classic of classic rock albums.

Most prog bands were not big sellers but Pink Floyd and Emerson Lake & Palmer (ELP) were the exceptions. Those 2 bands did sell millions and sold out stadiums during the "golden era" of prog rock. Most others didn't.

ELP...on...DVD..

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer have "Pictures at an Exhibition" on DVD. God, they look so young. Great performance though, if not timeless, definitely priceless. I don't know if it's still in print, I found it at Blockbuster online. If you don't already have it, it's well worth a look.

Ah, Pictures at an Exhibition, a true prog classic!!

11 years ago, I was a ski bum. I would listen to that album as I drove to and from the ski hill most days. What memories!

Back