Any SATA experts out there? I've got a big problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a new SATA 3Gb/s 250G seagate barracuda that i want to be the primary drive on my new system. It is an Asus MoBo with an AMD 3800+ processor. i bought the SATA without a book or CD so i have no idea how to set it up. When i try to install Xp on it with the Xp disk it freezes up after it starts to load the files. windows asks, before that, whether i want to install raid drivers or something but i dont have a disk. do i need to install special drivers before i can install windows? and where can i get them? i checked seagate"s site and they only have startup drivers for ide drives. is there a setting on my bios that can help? im really lost so any help would be appreciated.

one more thing. an option on the bios for that drive asks if i want to enable 32 bit something is that good or bad? can i do it? i dont know, because even seagate's specs on their site dont say anything about bits.
thanks.

One more thing.

There are tons of settings and options on my bios that i have no idea what they mean. if anyone has an asus crossfire mvp delux mother board and feels like telling me what the important settings mean i would love it.

I not to sure, but try to find something labeled in bios 'RAID CONTROLLER" and disable it. Then it should work??

Do you also have a IDE hard drive in the same system?

Its generally not recomended to have a SATA and IDE hdd in the same system because they interfere.

Regards,

Korrupt

do i need to install special drivers before i can install windows? and where can i get them?
These can be found from your motherboard cd, or their website. Then just copy it to a floppy or some sort of boot-readable media or if its on the mobo cd then instert that, and press F6 when it askes you to install the drivers. Unfortunatly i havnt had the experience of doing such things since my mobo doesnt support RAID in the first place for my SATA drives. Just follow the instructions on their websites and all should be good.

sometimes better to install without the ide drive sometimes it's not
but you will need the drivers for the motherboard to get it to work as bootable OS on install prompt for 3rd party drivers have disc and press F6
if done right there should be no problem running ide along side sata
check manual for config of the bios boot schedule

thats good and all but...

which drivers do i install? 32 bit sata 64 bit sata?
iv been searching the internet for hours trying to find this thing's stats but its like nobody knows what bit it is. am i missing something? and about that bios option..."32 bit ....Disable-Enable" does it drop it to 32 bit or raise it? I just want normal hard drive function, not raid, at least i dont think i want raid.

if system is 32 bit standard or 64 bit it will be the processor with the OS combo that tells you
you should read the manual can get it on line
if you have a 64 bit system i think you can run stanard 32 xp on it then you need the 32 bit drivers
if you run 64 bit xp then look for 64 bit drivers's
some sata chipsets only have a raid driver setup
some will say scsi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back