Any utility to check recorded CDs without listening to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

I'm using CD Clone to record audio books for future listening.

Have found that maybe 1 in 10 CDs comes out with a bad section.

The burner is an NEC 3550A

When I re-copy and record they turn out OK.

Is there any utility program that can check recorded CD's for
bad spots without having to wait to listen to the whole thing?

Thanks!

You could have the disk verify after burning, it takes a look at the source files and compares to what is on the disk, if its different it fails verification.

How do I do that?

When it's done recording, it ejects the disc
and tells me the recording is finished.

Do I have to push it back in, and then ??

Remember, this is Clone CD, not an MS program.

Does that CDBXP Pro work to copy audio CDs like books like CD Clone does?

If not, could it be used to error check a CD I've recorded using CD Clone?
And I'd better ask "how"

iss said:
there a re a couple of freeware programs that can check cd's for errors. one is CD Check, and another is CD Speed which is part of Nero toolkit but is actually a standalone program that does not require nero to run.

Downloaded and tried both of them.

CD Check told me there were 3 bad tracks out of 4 discs - to check it
I played those tracks and they sounded fine. So ???

The other one just didn't seem to want to do anything with the
CD I had recorded.

SNGX1275 said:
CDBurnerXP Pro is free and it errorchecks.

Well, downloaded and tried it. It copied a CD OK, but then crashed
half way thru recording those tracks to a blank.

At least CD Clone doesn't crash.

Don't know man. But I'd say there is a 50% chance if you just burn the disks at slower speeds you'll be ok. I've got a burner at work that burns disks with something corrupted about half the time at full speed, but if I slow it down to 24x its ok 100% of the time.

Now THAT sounds like it makes sense. I've got a pretty fast burner and I
was even thinking of trying that.

the fact that cd check reported bad tracks but they played only means your playing device has good error correction capabilities. I agree that your probably burning to fast and are getting bad burns as a result.

Somewhere in the Bowels of PC World Magazine....

They suggested burning CDA files very slow.. I got tired of dropouts and such on standalone players and started burning audio at only 4x or 8x (Whatever I can get Nero to agree to). Maybe it's superstition, or voodoo but I've been getting better results (I think). The 4x thing does require a fair amount of patience. Older burners start to get a bit cranky too. High speed burning can cause buffer overflow problems.

I'm not sure that you'd need to drop it down that slow (which could become a major issue if burning several) but simply dropping it down to 24x should be fine, go lower if you are still having problems. But I'd bet 24x will be just fine, and there really isn't much time difference between that and 52x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back