Any *visible* ID diff between x800 "Pro" and "PE"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugsy

I am in the hunt to buy a new ATI x800 "Platinum Edition" AGP card.

Is there any way to tell the difference between an x800 "Pro" and the "Platinum Edition" just by looking at it so I can be sure I'm not being sold an overclocked Pro as a PE?

What is the card your are going to buy? Can you link to it?

This is just a suggestion, but if you can afford it, I recommend a X850XT PE or the X850XT, they`re slightly better than a X800 pro or PE.

The cards.

wolfram said:
What is the card your are going to buy? Can you link to it?

This is just a suggestion, but if you can afford it, I recommend a X850XT PE or the X850XT, they`re slightly better than a X800 pro or PE.
I found a number of "new" cards for sale on eBay sold without a box, cables or software at a substantial savings (these are almost certainly OEM cards intended for a network).

I've tried to compare photos of x800 "Pro" and x800 "PE" cards online, but I can't find any photos that are both big enough AND by the same manufacturer to see if I can spot any difference.

The added expense of the x850pe doesn't justify the minimal performance gain over the x800pe, plus I can reuse the after-market fan on my 9800 Pro with the x800 (at least according to ATI). :)

There is no "PE" series cards built or powered by ATI, only XT PE's.

As a rule of thumb:
Pro & GTO = 12 pipelines
XT = 16 pipelines
XT PE = 16 pipelines + higher clockspeed.

As you can see from above, the XT and XT PE's will be better performing cards than the Pro's.

Some Pro owners have been able to reflash their cards to XT or XT PE BIOS's and get the full clock-speed and pipelines but this is risky and not assurred. It also voids your warranty.

There is no human-eye visible difference as the board design and chip is really the same but with minor internal difference and of course the silk-screen designation on the surface of the chip itself. The only difference I could fathom might be the speed of the memory chips may be lower on some Pro's but the GPU and memory chips themselves are usually covered by heatsinks and/or fan.

Shorthand

Sharkfood said:
There is no "PE" series cards built or powered by ATI, only XT PE's.
Which is why I didn't waste time typing it. It's assumed.

Links

wolfram said:
If you can link to the card you`re looking for, we can help.
Here is the link to the auction item:

Radeon x800xl Platinum Edition

ATI_X800XTPE_AGP.jpg

There are 9 such cards for sale, half of which are under $175.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back