Any way to protect against viruses b4 installing xp updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way i can protect against viruses and registry corruption just long enough to get the updates installed?...i dont have a firewall program so i always get hit hard and fast whenever i connect for the first time..

and whats the best way to fix the registry problems if i do get hit again??

try this out.

i have had similar problems with my system. you'll have ro run scanreg/restore on the dos mode. this will help scan and rectify your registry problems. as far as viruses are concerned you'll need firewall on your system or an alternative is to have the antivirus installed and make sure you run it regularlly.try this and let's see if it works.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The easiest way is to install your firewall programme before you connect to the net. Then run the Windows updates etc.

Download the free Zonealarm firewall from HERE and burn it to cd.

Then, make sure your system is diconnected from the net. Install Windows and once the install has finished, install the Zonealarm firewall. Reconnect to the net and run the windows updates and install your drivers etc. Once you`ve done that, install an antivirus programme, such as the free AVG from HERE. Reboot your system and run the AVG updates.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thx guys

One thing though...when you say run scanreg/restore, is that in the command prompt or do i use my windows xp cd and go to recovery console?

i did it and it worked. but another problem was generated, whenever i access the command prompt on dos my system restarts. plss help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back