Anybody with event viewer expertise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames82

I found the most recent error in the event viewer, right clicked on it, and clicked properties. this screenshot is of the window that appears. can anyone with expertise tell me:
1. what I am doing, if anything, to get this error?
2. what can I do, if anything, to correct it?

Attachments

• event viewer error.JPG
    event viewer error.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 7
Nodsu,
I get it. what it is saying is that I was in safe mode when the error occured, and it's nothing to be concerned about. I make changes in the system config, and those changes cause the error message.
I also have two screenshots attached, with the hopes of having an expert look at them. could you? also there will probably be one more after this, if you could be so kind to bounce back and check on my thread later?
thanks again.

Attachments

• event viewer error two.JPG
    event viewer error two.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 6
  • event viewer error three.JPG
    event viewer error three.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 5
It says that those drivers failed to load too. There's a whole bunch of them, so either something is very wrong or you are still in Safe Mode.

Really, there are timestamps on the events. If you see any that happened during Safe Mode, then you can just ignore most of them - Safe Mode is a very crippled operating mode for Windows and it is normal for many things to just not work.

Safe Mode and the Event Viewer

Good Morning! I thought I'd start my day by making my first post on this Forum.

Both DCOM and Service Control Manager Events can also occur in Normal Mode, but for different reasons. Safe Mode is usually used to diagnose a system problem or to run either Scan Disc or defrag in some versions of Windows, where programs running in the background may interrupt these features, causing them to continually restart.

I'm wondering what you were attempting to do in Safe Mode that forced these Events. Usual system actions like accessing the Internet and 'surfing' are best done in Normal Mode when all the necessary drivers have been loaded.

Bobbye

i do use safe mode alot. it comes as no surprise that there would be reminders of it. lately i have been focusing on emails that i have been receiving. after i received a spoof email i was instructed on how to configure my outlook express. i have it configured in a way that i can research an email without opening it. doing this has had me occupied for nearly a month. had it not been for this. i would have dealt with these error messages sooner.
there is only one remaining. could you folks be so kind to review it, and give me your expertise? in the future i intend to be more diligent concerning the error messages. from now on, i will be checking them several times a day, until i know why they're there. thanks again.

Well, that one says that it couldn't close the user-specific part of the registry. And as it says, it is usually cause by some pesky application or service that wouldn't shut down or let go of the registry.

Nothing to worry about, but if the error persists, I would track down the offending program and try to do something about it. It's a slim chance, but this kind of a thing can lead to (user) registry corruption and in the worst case scenario you could lose all your personal settings. Nothing serious, but annoying nevertheless.

Event Viewer

Since you have asked for assistance, I'll carry this a bit further. First,. this message is a Warning message, not an error. But if it showed as an error, you should not be alarmed. I get this whenever I shut down but don't log off first and since I am the only user, I'm not concerned.

As for the OE concern, it is quite easy to make the email header available using the Preview Pane features: In OE> View> Layout> Preview Pane section> click to 'check' 'show Preview Pane'> 'below Messages' and 'show Preview Pane Header'> Apply> OK. You are then able to right click on the closed envelope> Properties> Details tab to view the entire path of that email- but it can be either real or spoofed. However you are not opening the email and chancing malware.

I still wonder why you're using Safe Mode for what appears to be mostly normal activity. In fact, 'Safe Mode is a special diagnostic mode of Windows. Safe Mode loads only the basic operating system functions. It is not intended to be used for normal work. In fact, many programs cannot properly run in Safe Mode'- so if anything you're using needs to be updated, it cannot be done in Safe Mode. If you have had previous problems, they should be resolved so that you can return to Normal Mode.

http://www.colby-sawyer.edu/information/technology/updates/safemode.html

Bobbye.

nodsu,
i found out how important the registry can be, when i had my windows98. i received error messages, experienced slow, erratic, and undesirable behavior of probably every type. i scanned with many different programmes, and they all said i was clean. the registry tools that i used said i had hundreds of entries that needed correction, but unless i purchased, only part of the corrections would be made. my road runner subscription was about to run out, so i didn't bother purchasing. with this xp, i immediately bought regsupreme at the recommendation of kaspersky. i learned that lesson well.
i will keep a close eye on the event viewer until i know that everything on my system is ok, and take your advice. thanks again.

Event Viewer

You're welcome. However, I still question your continued use of Safe Mode for Normal activities.

Bobbye

event viewer/email

bobbye,
our posts kinda crossed-passed eachother in cyberspace.
i update my downloaded programmes in normal mode, then go to safe mode to scan. i really don't do anything else in safe mode, although i would like to know if there is more diagnostics i can do while i'm there.
my outlook express was set up in a way that, as soon as it loaded, there was a right-hand pane that was divided. there was a top pane, which listed my emails, and a bottom pane, which would show the highlighted email, or the top email if none was highlighted. now i have my preview pane turned "off", so the email is unopened and i can right click on it, select properties, and view the message source without opening it. i also have my emails "text only" so that no web bugs can be hidden in the pictures.
i haven't investigated your info yet, but i am going to do that right now. just thought i'd give you a quick reply. thanks again.

edit.
i never noticed that before about the open envelope.
when the message source is investigated, ip addresses are given, and those addresses can be investigated with dsl and whois tools. thanks again.

Event Viewer

You're welcome- a tip about the Preview Pane- I added it's icon to my Toolbar so when I want to open an email, I just click on that.

Yes, all the info is in the Header- should you want to copy it, right click> Select all> right click> Copy. Then you can paste this in Wordpad and print if you want to explore it further.

Here's a great reference site about Safe Mode:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question575.htm

Bobbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back