Anyone experiencing RSI? (Repetitive Strain Injury)

Spliffmeister

Anyone Here got RSI?

Hi all,

I spend on average 6-8 hours a day infron of my PC and Have always been concerned about RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury). Until recently all has been well, however I am now starting to get a pain aroundabout my elbows - i think because my elbows are always hanging off the edge of my desk..... Does anyone else experience the same, and has anyone discovered any remedies? If so please reply.......

Many thanks in advance

Spliffy

Although I spend 10-12 hours in front of the PC everyday (except weekends), I haven't had any problems YET with any of my joints. But I suppose swimming would help. I'm no health expert, but IMO, any low impact exercise should do the trick.

I just did a search on Google on "battling rsi". Found this interesting link:

http://www.geocities.com/la_rsi/erikstry.html

Recovery From RSI So Far...
by Erik Barkley

I programmed computers for approximately 13 years professionally before the onset of my injuries. I did notice some tingling in the hands after approximately 11 years of professional work; I bought a wrist pad, the tingling went away, and I thought nothing more of it. I was quite active physically, cycling three times a week and hiking twice a week, and figured that my body could bounce back from any "punishment" imposed.

It's a story about a guy's battle with RSI. Worth a read. The first few paragraphs are kinda scary. Hope none of us end up that way...

many thanks lokem, a quite enlightening article...... Not sure how it will help with my 3 hrs of CS per night tho' :) ;)

thanks again

Spliffy

I work at a laptop from 8 - 5 (or 6) and then spend a couple of hours at home at the PC.
At work I have a wrist support cut in half and sit right against the desk with my elbows on the pad halves. I then rest my wrists on the front of the laptop keeping my arms straight. This seems to be limiting any pain in the arms. I also use a mouse mat with a gel wrist support. I find these pads make a lot of difference to how comfortable I am when using my work laptop. At home I have a similar shaped desk and sit in the same position. I also have a keyboard with a wrist support and small optical mouse.
I have occasionally felt that my fingers are a little sore after typing a lot but this always goes away.... ;)

Originally posted by Spliffmeister
many thanks lokem, a quite enlightening article...... Not sure how it will help with my 3 hrs of CS per night tho' :) ;)

thanks again

Spliffy

Not a problem ;) 3 hours of CS per night??!! Think of it this way, at least you're kinda exercising your hand and eye co-ordination.. Buahaha :D

Originally posted by Arris
At work I have a wrist support cut in half and sit right against the desk with my elbows on the pad halves. I then rest my wrists on the front of the laptop keeping my arms straight. This seems to be limiting any pain in the arms.

I've tried using the wrist support for quite a few times, but it feels VERY uncomfortable. Is it supposed to feel that way? Perhaps I'm using it the wrong way :eek:

I used a gel wrist support for a while but only with a laptop. As I said I am using the two halves of my current pad as elbow pads ;)
Its all about having your wrists more level with the keyboard and not having stress on them due to your hands constantly being at the same angle to your arms (or something like that ;) )

yeah, might have to cut down on the CS (maybe i was exaggerating a little)..... need the practise tho :mad:

i've tried a combination of positions (stop sniggering at the back) and rests. maybe i should try another more varied job as on the
What would you rather be thread.

more cheerfully,

Spliffy

yeah, might have to cut down on the CS (maybe i was exaggerating a little)..... need the practise tho :mad:

I get yer feeling. At least you're lucky to get some practise... I have to practise with myself coz online gaming is not an option here unless I visit the cybercafes which is really troublesome.

i've tried a combination of positions (stop sniggering at the back) and rests. maybe i should try another more varied job as on the What would you rather be thread.

Since you're a trainer/support staff, don't you get to run around more often than sit down in front of the PC the whole day? I'm a programmer and all I do is just that. Real boring sometimes but it's a blessing too coz you don't have to face some oddfaced pple... :D

yeah, i do lots of classroom training and that sort of thing. recently tho' I've been doing more development and studying for exams..... more time infront of my PC.....

I'm gonna give some thought to that article. I've heard some stuff about rethinking your minds image of how your body works before. There maybe some truth in it.

Might change my job soon anyway but thats another issue ;)

Spliff,

I have all things against me, I am an Aircraft Technician by trade, computer guru, and bass player. All of these things contribute to my RSS (repetative stress). I use at home nothing but Ms Natural keyboards which is a BIG help. I have standard keyboards at work and just typing the words here cause me pain. I also use a gel pad for my wrist at the home PC. It also helps when you start having pain to do some simple streching excercises to help keep your joints loose. Tylenol or Aleve also help but don't take it on a daily basis. You will build a tolerence to it. I also get sore leg muscles when I sit for long spells when I am in school at my work too, so I usually take frequent walks. Hope some of this helps.

thanks Mr Boeingfixer,

i appreciate the comments, a common sense approach is needed - if something hurts, stop doing it, or find another way. It's something I'm in the process of doing. Part of the problem is that my home setup is very similar to my work setup, me thinks a little variety is needed. Or maybe i should just spend less time infront of my PC - seeing as its spring maybe more time in the garden is called for, I've been looking forward to renewing my battle wit th e slugs and snails of this world for a while.......

thanks again,

:cool:

Spliff,

If you haven't tried a MS Natural, try it for about 2 weeks. I had a temporary job at my work and told my boss about the pain I get just in a casual conversation. The next week, he had a Natural installed in my work station for me. Try asking your work to provide you one.

Take care, stay away from the attack slugs, they are the mean ones !! ;)

Oh, many is the day that I want to use the computer but can't, because my wrists and fingers ACHE!!!!!!!!

I also get sore backs from sitting at the computer too long. I am looking to invest in a big black leather chair....

almktng_1677_3461846

"What is it general...???"

"My Lord, the fleet has moved out of light speed....."

Hehehehe!

Just make sure it has a lock up bar. I sat in one like this over the weekend while I was doing some computer work and everytime I went over center, I was flung back and thought I was a gonner. Man was that irritating. I prefer to have the ability to lock my chair up if I want....

Shock Horror, I asked for a natural keyboard at work and with a quick shrug of the shoulders and what looked like a couple of neurons rubbing together inside my bosses head, one was on order..... now I've just got to wait for the wonderful service that is the British Post Office ;) . By the looks of things it'll discipline me to type properly too.....(I'm a bit lazy on that front)

the sun is shining......
:cool:

Thats great Spliffmeister, Look at it this way, if they don't get you one, they will have to pay you disability when you can't use your hands anymore. I am alwaysed amazed when people talk about something and never ask. People at my work say, "why did you ask them that...etc". My answer is always the same, "If you never ask, you won't get something or even a 'NO' answer, but if you ask and are told 'NO' you are no worse off, so by asking, you already have a 50/50 chance". Words to live by my friends. Asking is always better than not asking !!

Back