Anyone know these filepaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoid guy

Does anyone know the filepaths for the RUN command and the SEARCH command? I want to make a shortcut to them on the desktop, but I can't find them in browse. I really don't know where the programs are stored. They aren't in program files, I thought I had a good look... They aren't on my START menu, so that's why I'm asking.

Install the appropriate version of TweakUi from M$, that should be able to put them back on your Start menu.
Otherwise, lah di da...

Right click task bar/properties/customize/advanced/ - scroll through list.

You might need this too -

"Select Settings in your Start Menu, and then select Taskbar & Start Menu.
Choose the Start Menu tab, choose Classic Start Menu, and click Customize.
Turn off the Use Personalized Menus option, and click Ok when you're done."

That stops Windows removing entries that aren`t used very often.

paranoid guy said:
I want to make a shortcut to them on the desktop
Simply open the Start menu then drag & drop the "Search" & "Run" icons to the desktop with the right-mouse button, then select "create shortcut here".

Ok, and thanks for the replies, but I actually want to make a shortcut to them on the desktop, not in the start menu or start+r. Sorry to be difficult :unch:
Does anyone have any idea where they're stored or something, or the the filepath I'd have to put into the create shortcut space?
@Didou: they're not there, and if they were, I don't want to do it that way. I just want the filepath, again sorry to be difficult but it's not without reason...

Peddant You Genius!

Woohoo, thank you very much peddant! :grinthumb Peddant for president!
How the heck did you find that? I must have googled the question in a thousand ways, but no, nothing. This has got to be it. I've saved it to favourites and I'll try it later, I really gotta go... Once again, Thank you!!!

And... I'm grounded :(

Turns out I didn't read the writing properly... I only got around to trying it today, and I thought I only had to copy and paste the filepath I thought I saw there, but nope, I have to put it in a DTHSR.reg file and then merge it with the registry. What's a DTHSR.reg file? I tried copy and paste into notepad and saved as DTHSR.reg and there's no "merge" option in the registry... laugh now at the fact I really don't know what I'm doing. Google was unhelpful, all I got was that website, actually, and something else unrelated. Only 3 results for DTHSR.reg :(
Sorry Peddant, someone'll need to dumb it down for me :blush:

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{2559A1F0-21D7-11D4-BDAF-00C04F60B9F0}]
@="Search"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{2559A1F1-21D7-11D4-BDAF-00C04F60B9F0}]
@="Help and Support"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{2559A1F3-21D7-11D4-BDAF-00C04F60B9F0}]
@="Run"
Open Notepad, copy and paste all of the above into it, and select 'save as' into a file with the name anyname.reg or DTHSR.reg as long as it is a file with the .reg extension. Check that the 'Save as type' is 'All files'
Before you save the above, make sure there is no space between D and esktop.
Then either doubleclick that .reg file and select Yes or rightclick and select Merge and Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back