Anyone OC'ing an XP processor???

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasgmc

Its time to overhaul my system. I was going to get a Barton 2500 but my truck desperately needs a paint job so Im stuck with a sub-2000 XP. How do you OC them? I hear the graphite pencil doesnt work on them. I was thinking of a 1700 or 1800 because they are so cheap. The rest of the upgrades will be an MSI KT400 Ultra mobo, 512mb PC2700, WD 80gig SE hard drive and a Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb.

Chances are that you'll still get a thouroghbred chip even at those speeds nowadays;. so on must recent boards, less than a year or 18 months old with the latest BIOS say less than 6 months old that suport Tbreds, the lower multipliers will be unlocked. So you can up the FSB and lower your multipliers. Not many people OC by upping the multiplier.

1700 Tbreds are supposed to be one of the best OCers around and you'll probably get that MB up to 166 FSB easily with one.

I'm running a 2100+ Tbred B AIUHB @ 2.171Ghz (13x167). If you get a board that allows you to set the fsb to 166 fsb (1/5 divider) then you will probably have a good chance of running a 1700+ Tbred B @ 2Ghz with decent cooling.

Originally posted by vegasgmc
The rest of the upgrades will be an MSI KT400 Ultra mobo

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4434

I wouldn't recommend that board at all, I had no end of random BSODs under WinXP using that board, as have many other users (visit viaarenas forums and do a search for MSI KT4). Many people suggested RAM was the cause of the problems, but I tried several sticks both unbranded and major brands such as Crucial & Samsung but was unable to cure the problems.

In the end I ended up selling it and buying a MSI 746F (which is based on the Sis 746FX chipset) which currently I have had no problems with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back