AOL Toolbar error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Mask

My Grandparent's computer has Internet Explorer 7. For some reason whenever they start it up, they get an error report saying:

"Cannot find 'file:///C:/Program%20Files/AOL%20Toolbar/welcome.html'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct."

I've tried everything to fix this problem but I cannot find out what is causing it. Any suggestions on how to get the computer to stop displaying that error message when it doesn't affect the Internet connection to begin with?

Thanx

somethings missing or corrupted. Use ccleaner registry repair.

Also, using AOL is like asking someone to steal your wallet.

I have exactly the same problem and have not been able to fix it. I tried the registry cleaner mentioned by Tedster but it did nothing. If you find the solution please let me know. I am running Vista.

Yes, i have uninstalled it then did a clean reinstall and clean uninstall serveral times. I have seen this same question on several websites with the same error message and no one seems to have a solution for it. Uninstalling ie7 and reinstalling it also does not work and registry cleaning will not fix it. I have a feeling it is due to some dirty play by microsoft to discourage people from using AOL instead of MSN.

aol toolbar problem

Ok i try to explain because I not too good in English I Mexican
but I fix the same problem just I do this
1- make new home page in Internet exp my is 7 any you like
2-Internet explorer options and go to advanced
and in the end (bottem)of the advanced tab is
RESET INTERNET EXPLORER SETTINGS and click in RESET
and finish just restore Internet explorer a you no see again the message :
Cannot find 'file:///C:/Program%20Files/AOL%20Toolbar/welcome.html'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct."
let me know is that work for you ,because for me yes.

I have already tried resetting IE by this method and it does not solve the problem. I still get the error message. Thanks for your input though.

The problem is that Internet Explorer's Homepage may have been set to a file on your computer. The file doesn't exist anymore. This can happen when you either installed or uninstall AOL Tool Bar. It may have changed your Home Page to a file stored on your computer. This file is located inside "C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\". The name of the file is "welcome.html". You remedy this problem by changing your home page.

Changing your homepage is quite simple to do. You do this by opening Internet Explorer and clicking the menu "Tools" then to "Internet Options" then click "Home Page" box and enter in a new home page like google.com or anything you would like to see when you open Internet Explorer. Then click "Apply" close out Internet Explorer and re-open it to see if it goes away.

If this doesn't work then you can try to disable the AOL Toolbar inside of Internet Explorer. Go to the "Tools" menu then click "Manage Add-Ons" over to "Enable or Disable Add-Ons" then click drop down box at the top of the dialog box and go to "Add-Ons that have been used by Internet Explorer" find the AOL Toolbar and click Disable button at the bottom of the dialog box. When finished click "Ok" and close out Internet Explorer then re-open Internet Explorer and see if it goes away.

If this doesn't work then try run Internet Explorer without Add-Ons. This is done in two different ways . If you are using "Classic" windows look you go to "Start" - > "Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools" and click on "Internet Explorer (No-Add-ons). If you are not using "Classic" windows look then you go to "Start" - > "All Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools" and click on "Internet Explorer (No-Add-ons). See if it goes away.

Thanks for the time you spent on this reply. I had already tried the first two solutions with no luck. Since IE is part of the windows vista program i can't selectively delete it and re install it. I did try the Internet Explorer (No-Add-on) and it works but then you have to bring up your own home page because it opens with the window message explaining the no add on. Thanks again for your help. I have seen 8-10 complaints on line about this exact same problem. Wonder is Microsoft has anything to do with it?

Walter

I don't think that it is a Microsoft problem. The reason is that when you run IE (No-Add-On) means you are running Microsoft Internet Explorer with no third party plug-in's, active X and so on. This is how Internet Explorer comes shipped so this means it is not a Microsoft problem but a third party plug-in, active X, toolbar, etc.

The equivalent to this is to run Windows in Safe Mode or a new installed windows with no other programs on the system.

my computer keeps saying cannot find file:///c;program%20files/aol%20 toolbar/welcome html. make sure path to internet is correct how can i fix this problem

I have a solution for the "cannot find file:///c;program%20files/aol%20 toolbar/welcome.html problem. At least, in my case (IE7 on Vista) it solved the problem.

The trouble is with AOL's installation software. It adds a key to the windows registry that looks like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"First Home Page" = C:/Program Files/AOL Toolbar/Welcome.html

This key apparently overrides the home page settings set within IE. Worse, an uninstall of AOL does NOT remove the key from the registry. So every time IE starts up, this key tells the system to go look for a welcome file that HAS been removed. Naturally, the file cannot be found, and s that's why you see the error message.

Anyway, there are two ways to fix this. Option 1 is to delete this key in its entirety. If you do this, you will once again be able to set your home page inside IE under Tools/Internet Options.

Option 2 is to hard code the URL you want to be your home page in place of AOL's Welcome.html file name. My wife likes AOL (God knows why) so for her I hard coded the registry to proceed directly to AOL. The key now looks like this:

"First Home Page" = http colon slash slash www dot aol dot com

(Note that colons and slashes should be replaced by actual punctuation)
After this change, when she opens IE, there are no more error messages and her beloved AOL webpage opens up straight away.

As always, be careful with editing registry, but I'm a neophyte and had no trouble doing this.

I am too new to post links in this response. But I would try triple-w slash computerperformance slash co slash uk slash vista slash vista_registry for basic guidance on simple registry edits like this one.

Good luck!

AOL toolbar

eva622 said:
ok i try to explain because i not too good in english i mexican but i fix the same problem just i do this 1- make new home page in internet exp my is 7 any you like 2-internet explorer options and go to advanced and in the end (bottem)of the advanced tab is reset internet explorer settings and click in reset and finish just restore internet explorer a you no see again the message : cannot find 'file:///c:/program%20files/aol%20toolbar/welcome.html'. Make sure the path or internet address is correct." let me know is that work for you ,because for me yes.
eva thank you for that. I tried it and it worked for me. Your wonderful!!!

Bill H said:
I have a solution for the "cannot find file:///c;program%20files/aol%20 toolbar/welcome.html problem. At least, in my case (IE7 on Vista) it solved the problem.

The trouble is with AOL's installation software. It adds a key to the windows registry that looks like this:

"First Home Page" = C:/Program Files/AOL Toolbar/Welcome.html

This key apparently overrides the home page settings set within IE. Worse, an uninstall of AOL does NOT remove the key from the registry. So every time IE starts up, this key tells the system to go look for a welcome file that HAS been removed. Naturally, the file cannot be found, and s that's why you see the error message.

Anyway, there are two ways to fix this. Option 1 is to delete this key in its entirety. If you do this, you will once again be able to set your home page inside IE under Tools/Internet Options.

Option 2 is to hard code the URL you want to be your home page in place of AOL's Welcome.html file name. My wife likes AOL (God knows why) so for her I hard coded the registry to proceed directly to AOL. The key now looks like this:

"First Home Page" = http colon slash slash www dot aol dot com

(Note that colons and slashes should be replaced by actual punctuation)
After this change, when she opens IE, there are no more error messages and her beloved AOL webpage opens up straight away.

As always, be careful with editing registry, but I'm a neophyte and had no trouble doing this.

I am too new to post links in this response. But I would try triple-w slash computerperformance slash co slash uk slash vista slash vista_registry for basic guidance on simple registry edits like this one.

Good luck!

THIS ACTUALLY WORKED! but i would like to say you have to run "run" and Regidit and then follow whats up there! but this actually worked!

MrMally777 said:
THIS ACTUALLY WORKED! but i would like to say you have to run "run" and Regidit and then follow whats up there! but this actually worked!

I second Mrmally777's motion. Thanks Bill H

Toolbar error message

I've had the same annoying error message for sometime.

I think, it is due to a path to a welcome page not a toolbar that AOL once used on its link to Internet Explorer 7, which they have now discontinued. I've tried different Registry Cleaners but IE7 in Vista is not touched by them. The only way I've found to get around it is to bring up Internet Explorer 7 via the 'Connect to the internet' icon in the 'Windows Welcome Centre'. If I use the IE7 icons on either the desktop or the main start menu I still get the 'c:/Program%20 etc. twice before the IE7 will start!

The only way to completely remove it, I fear, will be a manual registry change - something I'm not confident to try.

I too have gotten the same error for the AOL Toolbar home page. However, I only started getting the error once I upgraded from AOL 9.0 to AOL 9.1. I bought a new Dell computer with Windows Vista Home Premium and IE 7, of course. As I was reinstalling my software I only had an AOL 9.0 CD and reinstalled the AOL software from that. I was previously using AOL 9.1 on my old computer. So, the following day, I upgraded to AOL 9.1 and that is when my problem began. I hope that this little tidbit of information helps someone else out. Kudo's to BillH! His solution worked like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back