appcompat.txt error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

SultanGris

C:\DOCUME~1\P4\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERC.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

I keep getting error message concerning this file, for multiple programs, at random times, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt,

upon investigating this directory location, file does not exist, i have setting set to show all, and to NOT hide system files, what the fork is going on, anyone else ever had this problem? what is this error message?

You'll need to run lots of anticrapware programs to solve this one.
Update antivirus signatures, run adaware (or whatever you may use). A registry cleaner wouldn't hurt either.
You'll need to do alot of house cleaning before we can troubleshoot this one.
It's more than likely a virus.

Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].

realblackstuff said:
Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].

i did this once, but it came back, i have since formated and reinstalled, think i ended up with some residual effects of removing sp2, so i did clean install with sp1, but im sure i will get this error again, as ive had it a few times in the past, it seems kinda random, sometimes gives me problems, and sometimes not, just wonding what would cause it, format fixes it every time though, haha

The file is deleted after the message is closed. It isn't the problem. It is a file created by windows to send to the tech people there. It is ment to contain information dealing with the problem but it isn't the cause. You are ment be able to find the problem as it mentions what went wrong but i can't seem to see it.

Hope this helps. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back