Apple is parting ways with Jony Ive and his design firm

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Apple designer Jony Ive officially left the Cupertino-based company in 2019 to start his own design firm, LoveFrom. Ive didn't cut ties with Apple entirely, however, as Tim Cook and company would become one of the firm's primary clients. That's no longer the case.

Sources familiar with the matter told The New York Times that Apple and Ive's company have agreed to end their partnership, completing a multi-year contract that Apple signed with LoveFrom reportedly worth more than $100 million.

Per the publication's sources, the deal prevented Ive from working on products that Apple thought would compete with its own offerings.

As the contract came up for renewal in recent weeks, both sides decided not to push for an extension. Sources told the Times that some Apple executives were concerned with how much Apple was paying for Ive's services. Others were frustrated that some designers had departed to join Ive's firm. Ive himself was also reportedly interested in taking on clients without needing Apple's permission.

Ive joined Apple in 1992 and was instrumental in the company's revival once Jobs returned to the helm. His first major project was the iMac, and he went on to take part in the creation of several other key products including the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad and the Apple Watch.

Image credit: Jim Wilson, The New York Times, Pixabay

Permalink to story.

LOL, well, that was a stupid move on Ive's part. Everyone who wanted to copy Apple in the PC world is already doing it.

LOL, well, that was a stupid move on Ive's part. Everyone who wanted to copy Apple in the PC world is already doing it.
but what was his company worth before that $100 million dollar deal? Stupid in hindsight but he might never have made a dime if it wasn't for Apple. Not defending Apple, but hindsight is 20/20

In my opinion, design is like an art where some like it, some don't. Personally, I am no fan of the designs of most Apple products. For example, phone's got a dumb notch, Macs that are so lack of ports and cooling, products that looks like a cheese grater, etc. And quite frankly, I rarely see significant changes in the design of Apple products since Tim Cook took over Apple. Look at the iPhone for example, the changes I observed are, (1) color, (2) flat or rounded edges, and, (3) camera bump size and layout changes. There is also a change in material, but to me, that is not a design change since the appearance remains the same.

The product design is a major draw for Apple products. Microsoft, Samsung, and many others are probably running the bid up. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

His reputation is firmly established so he won't have any problem attracting new clients and I'm betting he has plenty that are already on board or trying to get on board with him .... sounds like a prudent move for both companies .....

Back