Apple reportedly negotiating with carriers on a $100 price hike for iPhone 6

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple iphone

Trying to predict the feature set, specifications and design of the next iPhone is a game that many have played for years but one thing has remained a constant through it all: pricing. The new iPhone has traditionally started at $199 (excluding the original that debuted at $499 and last year’s plastic 5c at $99) but some analysts now believe Apple is preparing to move in the other direction with the iPhone 6.

According to Jeffries & Co. analyst Peter Misek, Apple has started to negotiate with wireless carriers on a $100 price increase for the next iPhone. The analyst claims carriers are reluctant to make the change but then again, they’ve also conceded that there will be no other game-changing device this year.

Most of the competition has already launched their flagship smartphones for 2014 and while handsets like the HTC One M8 and the Galaxy S5 are impressive in their own right, most would agree that they are evolutionary updates instead of revolutionary new devices.

Misek didn’t touch on specifically which models of the iPhone the price increase is related to. Conventional wisdom would suggest the rumored 4.7-inch handset would retain the same $199 introductory pricing while the larger 5.5-inch phablet would command the extra money.

A price increase like this would make sense as we’ve seen it with other large phones to hit the market but we’ll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Permalink to story.

Only a $100 increase? What's wrong with them? Are they're only starting to feel guilty about overcharging people now?
Yeah I'd sure like to see them release something revolutionary, the next time will be their first time.

Last edited:
Problem: Too many of the unwashed masses have the iPhone, it's no longer the cool status symbol. Also, record profits are not nearly as massive as we would have liked them to be (only $137 billion in excess cash last year? Bah, pathetic).

Solution: Simple: Charge more for the iPhone! Price it to appeal only to the elite and those who live in the iTunes ecosystem.

Results: Laugh all the way to the bank. :)

Seriously, though... If they actually make some improvements and make the 6 a real forward step, rather than the re-iterative semi-steps of the past model updates, it could easily be worth $100 more for everyone who loves iPhones.

With iPhone 6 revolutionary new definition for evolutionary, and catching up in display size to the Android phones which people are buying is the most significant improvement.

Problem: Too many of the unwashed masses have the iPhone, it's no longer the cool status symbol. Also, record profits are not nearly as massive as we would have liked them to be (only $137 billion in excess cash last year? Bah, pathetic).

Solution: Simple: Charge more for the iPhone! Price it to appeal only to the elite and those who live in the iTunes ecosystem.

Results: Laugh all the way to the bank. :)

Seriously, though... If they actually make some improvements and make the 6 a real forward step, rather than the re-iterative semi-steps of the past model updates, it could easily be worth $100 more for everyone who loves iPhones.

True, but I think the rumor is that they will only increase the cost of a phablet iPhone. The regular sized one would still be $200 on contract.

the HTC One M8 and the Galaxy S5 are impressive in their own right, most would agree that they are evolutionary updates instead of revolutionary new devices.
I'm so sick of this line.... It as a nice ring to it and it makes people sound smart to say 'revolutionary, not evolutionary.' But the fact is you can count the 'evolutionary' phones on one hand. The original iPhone (duh) and then way down in 2nd probably the HTC One (M7) and the Galaxy S3. Everything else has been a small step forward and/or increase in some numerical value (ppi, camera MP, screen size etc).
If it were possible to evolve the phone any farther we wouldn’t have these desperate attempts at revenue called Glass and Smart Watches.

Eh, I like Apple products but smartphones are already really expensive..why irritate people even more.

My wild guess is Apple made some promises recently to investors, they fell through, and this is how they are planning to make up for it...

OR, iPhone 6 is going to warrant the increase and blow us away.

Phones are stupidly priced as it is. The iPhone is a horrible waste of money. Having said that, any Android equivalent is even BIGgger waste of money. I would pay an extra $100 for IOS over Android any day but NOT $100 over the already insane prices.

"At Apple, we are a bunch of greedy bastards who want more money. GIVE US YOUR BABIES"

At least the Windows Phones will sell a lot more. Thanks Apple!

iPhone when introduced, was "a status symbol" for the ***** keep up with the Jones' types. Not everyone could afford, want, or figure out why they "needed" one. That has changed. About the only people you see with a "flip phone" are older, mostly retired types, or Agent Gibbs on NCIS lol.
With every manufacturer selling smartphones, phablet etc, the cost premium of Apple isn't what it once was.
Unless Apple has something up its sleeve, that will create the kind of buzz the 07 version of the iphone did, about the only people that will pay the premium, are the same keep up with the Jones' types, foolish types with too much money, and the Fanboys. I'm still using my 2+ year old Galaxy Note. It's stable, still quite fast running 4.1.2 Android. Would I like to have a newer device? Yep, but I buy full retail, off contract (this one was 574.00 off Amazon), use straight talk. Now, if you want a top of the line premium device with similar screen size, you have to pay 700 or MORE. Not gonna do it. IF the specs hold out true and it isn't all a bunch of hype the Oneplus One, appears to be the next device for my usage pattern. At less than 400 (so they say), for me, it would be perfect. I could almost buy two, for the price of a iphone, Galaxy S5 or similar. Why? Oh because it is a (insert brand). If build quality and reliability are the same, why pay a premium just for a stupid name?

To all you haters, if anyone feels like being objective...

Apple is interested to make iPhones and other products as competitive as possible, including reductions in the premium prices. But if you want to stay on the edge of the competition, you need to add some interesting features to the new products. And sometimes the features may turn out to be just too expensive for manufacturing.

I believe Apple has a new costly feature they are trying to introduce with the new iPhone that's outside normal cost today, this is why they are testing the ground to see if that cost can be offset to the consumer.

Without moves like this it is becoming too hard to keep continuous progress in phones year after year. But if it can be done, the advancement is well worth the initial extra penny, because that's what keeps the industry in line and eventually makes new features less expensive and available.

Last edited:
Going purely on the picture above, I see the screen taking up most of the front of the phone (no logo or home button on the front) and it appears to use a unibody metal case (which might be bad for wifi signals). Other than that, I got nothing. I'll be interested to see what new features it can introduce but I still won't buy it. Sorry Apple.

With the note 3 starting at $299 Apple is just jumping on the phablet bandwagon. I don't believe their phone will quite meet the same "phablet" qualifications due to the lack of a stylus and stylus software.

I'm sure ifans will shell out an extra $100 just to brag to their friends.

oh well, some people just have money to burn and don't really research what they are actually paying for.

Phones are stupidly priced as it is. The iPhone is a horrible waste of money. Having said that, any Android equivalent is even BIGgger waste of money. I would pay an extra $100 for IOS over Android any day but NOT $100 over the already insane prices.

Bigger waste of money because it has better features and a better camera right? Oh stylus, heartbeat sensor, etc...? Yeah, sure its just a waste.... /s

For MonsterZero... have you used both systems? I having been using both systems for years and years now... from a 3gs, sx2, s3, iphone 4, 4s, note 2's, nexus 4's, mega, etc etc... IOS is clearly a better experience easily...

It already costs a six figure salary to have one, make it seven figures? That's why I like my land line ooma internet phone service for four dollars a month. No upgrading costs either. With my experience of the lack of people downloading apps from the android play store, I don't think most people use ten percent of their phone's functionality. Just lead like cattle.

It already costs a six figure salary to have one, make it seven figures? That's why I like my land line ooma internet phone service for four dollars a month. No upgrading costs either. With my experience of the lack of people downloading apps from the android play store, I don't think most people use ten percent of their phone's functionality. Just lead like cattle.

If you think you need a six figure salary to afford a $600-750 then clearly you have financial acumen issues. I'd understand if you said that you have different priorities than the majority of the people out there.

iOS is cleaner and easier to use, android is more customizable, to each their own and whatever they prefer.

Back