Apple shipped an estimated 600,000 HomePods in Q1

midian182

Staff member

When Apple entered the smart speaker market with the launch of the HomePod at the start of the year, it was no doubt hoping to challenge industry leaders Amazon and Google, but the iPhone maker still has a long way to go. According to market research firm Strategy Analytics, Apple captured a mere 6 percent of the smart speaker market in Q1, having sold an estimated 600,000 HomePods.

That figure puts Apple in fourth place on the list of global smart speaker vendors. Despite seeing its share drop below 50 percent, Amazon still tops the table having sold 4 million units during the first quarter. Google is second with 2.4 million sales (26.5 percent share), while Alibaba sits in third having sold 700,000 speakers, giving it 7.6 percent of the market.

There are few caveats to go with this data; the HomePod launched on February 9, meaning it wasn’t available for the entire quarter, which stretches from January 1 to March 31. There’s also the fact Apple only has one version of its speaker, whereas Google has three and Amazon has even more.

The HomePod’s tight integration with Apple’s ecosystem meant it was never going to be hugely popular outside of Apple fans. Many reviews fell into the ‘good, not great’ category, and the $349 price hasn’t helped, especially when rival smart speakers are so much cheaper. Last month, it was reported that Apple had cut HomePod orders after its disappointing early sales.

In total, 9.2 million smart speakers were shipped in Q1, up from 2.4 million shipments during the same period a year earlier. “Further strong growth in smart speaker sales confirms our view that this new market is far more than just a flash in the pan,” said David Mercer, Vice President at Strategy Analytics. “We are clearly heading towards to a time in the not too distant future when voice becomes a standard mode of technology interaction alongside established approaches like keyboard, mouse and touchscreen.”

Recent reports speculate that Apple could eventually release a smaller, cheaper version of its HomePod to better compete against its rivals. It’s thought the device will cost between $150 - $200 and arrive later this year

Permalink to story.

The device sounds fantastic especially when compared to the google home max (at high volumes), but its closed ecosystem approach is super frustrating. It's also the dumbest "smart" speaker on the market though that's not news to anyone given how Siri works these days.

The device sounds fantastic especially when compared to the google home max (at high volumes), but its closed ecosystem approach is super frustrating. It's also the dumbest "smart" speaker on the market though that's not news to anyone given how Siri works these days.
Not really man. It does sound pretty decent, but it lack the power and really basic "stereo separation" Max provides.
If Homepod would be a decent smart speaker and not a stroke patient, it might be a different case, much different.
+ Certainly issues with Airplay 2.0 certainly do no help.

Apple needs to think different and release working product, not something that is barelly consided as a beta. I would like to own one, as a concept not as a current product.

Not really man. It does sound pretty decent, but it lack the power and really basic "stereo separation" Max provides.
If Homepod would be a decent smart speaker and not a stroke patient, it might be a different case, much different.
+ Certainly issues with Airplay 2.0 certainly do no help.

Apple needs to think different and release working product, not something that is barelly consided as a beta. I would like to own one, as a concept not as a current product.

I had lots of issues with the google home max getting distorted at high volumes. I didnt have this problem with the Apple Homepod. It should be noted I have hearing issues so my opinion is based on my experience listening with Tinnitus. In the end neither of the devices were purchased after demoing them.

Back