Apple unveils world's thinnest desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Based around a PowerPC G5 processor and boasting a radical redesign, the new iMac has touted by Phil Schiller, senior vice president of Apple worldwide product marketing, as "the world's thinnest desktop computer."

The new iMac resembles a thicker version of Apple's LCD Cinema Display series, and has the entire computer, including optical drive and power supply, built into a single case two inches deep. There are different versions of the system: The low-end machine, priced at $1,299, is based around a 17-inch LCD and 1.6GHz PowerPC G5 processor, and comes with a 533MHz front-side bus, 256MB of DDR-RAM, and a slot-loaded CD-RW/DVD combo drive. The mid range has 1.8GHz with a 600MHz front-side bus, whereas the high end model has a 20-inch version and a 160GB hard drive.

[center]
designbalance08312004.jpg
[/center]

hmm, with apple's emphasis on style, I wonder why they didn't go with a cordless solution. Even if it were just for the mouse, I think it would have made that pic Phan posted look that much better.

If you need a new mainboard it'll cost you around £500 and must be fitted by an authorised Apple dealer. They won't sell you a mainboard on its own (for example). Yep, Apple is for life, and it ain't cheap. Nice styling, but it'll cost you bucket loads in the long run.

Originally posted by abc
hmm, with apple's emphasis on style, I wonder why they didn't go with a cordless solution. Even if it were just for the mouse, I think it would have made that pic Phan posted look that much better.
You can choose a Bluetooth keyboard & mouse with it (for $99).

The bezel is way too big on the lcd as a result of them making it the "thinnest" desktop. I think it would of been cooler to implement the pc into keyboard and use one of those awesome new displays they're making. That way you have the optical drives and power buttons right where need them.

Neat... but not as revolutionary as Apple would have us believe. It's a notebook computer without a keyboard or trackpad. If it is important that a system be that compact... why not just get a notebook? Only the 20" model is somewhat unique in that you can't get a notebook with that much screenspace.

New Thin APPLE G5

This is _not_ the thinnnnnest desktop in the world

look at the OQO

Http://www.oqo.com

This is a PDA, LAPTOP & DESKTOP In ONE

Its ahead of the market by years!

This computer does have a distinctive style, but if you took a one of those Tablet PC's and put it on a stand with a wireless keyboard and mouse it would be a little thinner.

You need to remember not to compare this product to a laptop. The Apple uses full-sized PC components (e.g. 160GB hard drive, GeForce FX 5200 Ultra grapics, etc.), and so is a true desktop PC, but in a very nice case.

Apples & Oranges

I really think it is _fair_ to compare the OQO with this new Apple. It just so happens that the OQO can also act as a desktop.

What the definition of a desktop is, well thats up to you and in all honesty as in langauge definitions are for lawyers and the like becaus they are a changing thing/creature.

The OQO is looking at the wider picture, APPLE pretend to be your friend when M$ are looking down on you in Big Brother sort of way.

OQO is a great reinvention aand redefinintion of what we should expect.

So I will compare it simiply because the OQO has widen & deepened the definiiton (if not blurred the idea of exactly what a PC is) so as to make it valid.

Ya follow!

I like the OQO, and would even consider buying one, but how many users do you think would buy one to replace their desktops? Probably close to zero. Does that mean it should be compared to a desktop? The OQO targets a different market (small, portable), and users that already have desktops (e.g. myself) would consider buying an OQO, but not another desktop. What does that tell you? [no sarcasm please]

I think the new Apple desktop is going to be the nail in the coffin for Apple. There is no real innovation here. If I already had a G4 or G5 I would not be motivated to replace it with one of these- I would save my ducats for one of their nice Studio Displays.

There are some definite flaws in selling the LCD screen and the computer as one unit. The main thing is what happens when you want to buy a new computer and the flat screen is still working?

This is a case where having separate components makes more sense. This forces you to buy both a new computer and a new monitor.

Also often a monitor will become non-functional while the Main CPU component and the rest of the hardware is working fine. What happens then?

Yeh, Its been tried before by IBM and HP- The only place that it really sold was the business sector. I don't see Apple making big inroads there. I admire Apple's design studio, but I think this one's gonna be a turd.

If you want a turd, then Apple is the right choice. Style is whats its all about, so forget value for money, or any other desirables. It does look good ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back