Apple's Siri-based Echo competitor will reportedly be a high-end affair

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Word around the water cooler last May suggested Apple might unveil its Amazon Echo / Google Home competitor at WWDC 2016 in June. The conference, however, came and went without the Siri-powered device making an appearance.

With this year’s WWDC just around the bend, we’re again hearing rumors on the subject – this time painting an even more vivid image of what we may see next month.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in a note to investors on Monday that he believes the Siri speaker will be a high-end affair with a subwoofer and seven tweeters. The analyst also thinks it’ll be powered by a custom ARM processor that’s at least as powerful as Apple’s A8 CPU from the iPhone 6. The W1 Bluetooth chip (the one that powers Apple's wireless AirPods) will be prominently featured in the home assistant as well, Kuo indicated, as will its AirPlay streaming technology.

Apple may also top Amazon in the hardware design category.

Kuo believes there’s a better than 50 percent chance that Apple will announce the device at WWDC ahead of a launch in the second half of this year. No word yet on how much the speaker might retail for but just for reference, Amazon’s Echo goes for $179.99, the smaller Echo Dot is $49.99 and Google Home currently commands $114.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, and it'll also need 3 phase power and 340V to power it. Next we'll hear it'll come with a live rock band that sends your questions to Siri sitting behind her desk at Apple HQ via carrier pigeon. iSheep will believe anything.

I'd get this, if only it linked to my local iTunes music files, much line the Apple TV. I don't like the fact that Amazon Echo can't stream anything locally, it's all cloud based.

Awwwww Skidmarksdeluxe ..... give them some credit. I'm guessing it will be powered more along the lines of 14.7 KW or higher ..... just have to plug into your local electrical tower and STAND BACK! LOL

Back