Are AMD any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

caravel

If I wanted an AMD Athlon 64 X2 with a good balance of low cost and performance, would I still be better off going with an Intel? And if so which?

Thanks.

i find amd are usually cheaper but i don't know what the prices are if you're in the US

if it's like the prices over here then you will get about the same performance for cheaper with amd

Price parody is very close on the low end with the X2s and Allendales/Conroes. Intel flat out owns the high end and overclocking crowd.

Where AMD still manages to shine is in overall costs as motherboards suporting AMD parts tend to be slightly less expensive than those for Intel parts.

ps. Mirob I suppose you meant parity. :p

AMD is better in the low price divison while Intel really is stellar in performance, but for moe money.

By the way if you are from an English speaking country then learn the language. "Are AMD any good".

you're putting AMD down quite a notch though guys. AMD isn't AS good as intel, but it's still quite good. intel manages to get more performance with smaller ghz speeds. an intel 2.4 could out perform an AMD 2.6 for instance. if you get a decent amd processor, then you're good to go, and it's relatively cheap. AMD just has to get their act together. they were recently given a huge amount of money. i'm 99% that they will come out with some very nice stuff in the next quarter.

i plan on buying an amd athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0ghz. 160 dollars on newegg.

perhaps i read it wrong...

either way. good to hear! i'm an amd fanboi too as you might have noticed. from the way it was written though, it was sounding like amd was worse than it actually is.

i guess the best way to put it is:
AMD==Very Good
Intel==Even better

but amd is cheap happiness.

Thanks for the feedback, I will look into it. I'm currently running a bit of a dinosaur - an Athlon XP 2400+ and have always used AMD CPU's since the K6. The CPU I was looking at was the AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+.

@beef_jerky4104: As to the grammar I don't seem to remember coming here for English lessons in the first place. I'm not sure what's wrong with the thread title either? Did I make an error that has been corrected already? Also, perhaps check your own posts for grammatical flaws, and even spelling mistakes, before you criticise those of others.

Thanks again to those that provided some positive input.

i don't think there's anything wrong with the title, it's how i would have written it. i may have put "Are AMD Processors Any Good" but that doesn't really make a lot of difference

Looking at newegg the 4000+ Brisbane is $9 less then the E2140 Allendale. Xbit labs did a bunch of benchmarks of lower end X2s against these Allendales. The E2140 is often faster in office and encoding benchmarks while the 3800+ is better at gaming. The real answer depends on what you want it to do and the motherboard you choose. At $66 you can't go wrong with the 4000+.

AMD is making some good moves in my opinion. Like Buying ATI! and making all their new chips to fit the same sockets for example.

From what I have seen it is too close to really tell much of a difference unless you overclock. I saw somebody overclock an intel core duo to 3.5ghz on a stock heat sink and fan without problems. But, unless intel drops their prices I will always buy AMD.

in that sense, AMD is set to take the lead if they come up with some hardware that performs as well as intel's stuff. after all, AMD did get that donation of what?...several million dollars worth? that will certainly help with research and production.

intel? haven't heard much from them lately. they seem to be focusing more on their quad core market rather than their dual core technology. plus, they haven't really inherited a huge sum of money. and that says to me that whatever they make will continue to be priced high. unless they find a way to reduce production costs, i don't see why the should. besides, if people are willing to pay top dollar for their stuff, then there's even more of a reason not to lower prices.

so if AMD gets their act together for the next quarter, we might be in for a pleasant surprise when they roll out their new line of chips.

it wasn't a donation. the company in U A E now owns 8.1% of the stock, which correct me if Im wrong, gets them a seat at the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back