Are these good components to build a new PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this a good pc

MSI RS480m2LI
Athlon 64 x2 3800+
1GB Corsair 400Mhz Memory
Sapphire Radeon X800 XL 512MB
Segate 250gb harddrive
Gigabyte GOw1616a dvd burner
case with 500watt power supply

Thanks in advance

that all seems jsut fine

except for that **** ugly case that deserves to die! get a sonata II thats a sweet case, and you may be surprised how loud the system is with a cheap and tacky case! save time money and embarassment now (many people are scared of us geeks, espescially when they make there case look like a prop from star-trek)

I am not entirely sure that mobo supports X2 ..the new Dual core 64bit processors from AMD . If you want future proofing you would be better off getting a mobo which supports AMD Athlon 64 X2 processors. I would suggest the Asus A8V std. or deluxe edition as a good choice - but then those are PCI and AGP slot mobos.

you might try to look for a VIA K8series chipset based mobo's which have PCIe slots and support X2 . I am sure I saw a couple of them last week on the net.

It would be good to state what you plan to use the PC for to get the best evaluations of your choices. For example, if it's for gaming, I don't think a dual core processor would be the best choice. BTW, I checked the MSI site and it did not explicitly say that motherboard supports dual core processors. So in the absence of that, I wouldn't expect it to.

Although I understand the chipset used on that motherboard is not the absolute best for gaming, it seems fine otherwise if you want a micro ATX board.

From my experience with cases, the best upgrade you can do to a system is fit noise dampening material to the inside, when i'm going to sleep i can hear a whisper quiet humm and little more (except when the bloody HD buggers about!) i used to have one with neon fans and a window and such that cost me 25 quid (about $45) which came with a cheapo power supply...

it sounded like a plane taking off even with just the cpu fan and one 120mm fan, the edges cut me to death and eventually the psu started to go wonky and blew my processor and motherboard, i wasn't happy.

then i spent about $120 on a lovely sonata II with acoustic material, the power supply is always giving near perfect readings, it has one 80mm fan one 120mm fan and one 92mm fan along with the graphics card fan (another 80mm) and the cpu fan (another 80mm) and it's nearly silent, all the edges are rounded off, it's made of thicker material, everything fits in nicer. And i'm not embarassed about knowing about pc's say if a gal comes round as it could just be a dell :p ok so maybe i splashed out on getting a quiet system but i'm overly happy with it (the fans were about $15 to $20 each which hurt, altho it does come with one 120mm fan) but i don't regret a penny

talking of cheap cases, i massacred my old power supply as a mate wanted a fan for his pc and i sliced my finger open, god i hated that case! :knock:

Get two memory modules instead of one. You won't be able to use the CPU's dual-channel capabilities with one module.

I'd like to recommend using a different retailer than tigerdirect.com as I and many others have been burned by them (particularly rebates) and their customer service is lacking. I'd recommend Newegg, ZipZoomFly, Directron, and Monarch Computers. As I've purchased from all these vendors and have been happy with their service.

I second what mailpup says, we need to know what you plan on using this computer for before we can give you suggestions...

I have that last motherboard you listed (A8N-SLI deluxe) and am very happy with it. But if you are going to get an SLI board, I'd now recommend changing your video card. Above you have the X800XL selected. It will work on this motherboard of course, but you are hurting yourself in the future if you get an ATI. Only Nvidia cards are SLI capable.

Are you familiar with SLI? It means that you can have two of the exact same video cards installed at the same time. Double the power. I am not suggesting you get two video cards now (very expensive) but if you buy an nVidia card now, you have the option of getting a second video card next year as an upgrade. If you buy an ATI, you won't be able to do this.

Also, I question your choice of CPUs. Do you need a dual core processor? Most people do not. Instead of the dual core 3800, you can get the single core 3800 cheaper, and it will run most applications FASTER than that dual core 3800 with its higher clock rates.

And finally.... (sorry man, I have to say it) those are some ugly cases you are looking at there! :giddy:

But all things aside, just be sure you get a decent power supply. I wouldn't plug my razor into the ones you have listed so far.

thats a wonderful case, good brand name, reliable, and good choice on the power supply :) i'm just glad i've saved another person from the terrors of novelty cases!
hmm i nearly suggested getting an fx processor, but you'd have to up the budget by a rather large amount, if i was building a pc of similar specs, personally i'd get a cheaper cpu for now (say a 3600) and then upgrade when the fx's drop in price or dual core procesors come into use more by programs. Just get a nice solid mobo and some nice ram, and you should be ok for about 5 years imo

By the way teedee, I have the same case/psu as you do (Sonata2) and I agree it is a solid choice, especially considering the price.

puncrawcboi92, looking good man! Looking good! Now.... as for the dual core 3800 cpu... :approve:

this pc isn't for me its for some rich guy so as long as its under 2.5k
he wants a 3.8Ghz

that guy loved those clear cases (wat a space geek)

i have seen this case befoe it was called the diablo it was like $200
and it look awsome it was black with red strobes. ( a cool gamming case)

the bummer thing is u cant get it online, and the store that sold it went out of buisness

woot long live the sonata II, i cant believe its sucha solid case WITH a good psu for such little cash! gah puncrawcboi i hate cases with lights, how can you sleep with it in your room if it's attempting to be a disco for moths!

and how do you explain your case to guests when they come over.... they really are a social disaster zone! being geek = just fine, being a numpty with a disco case = :/

there is a feature to turn them off
and they are only on wen your pc is on
i only have my pc on when i use it
it doesnt look like a geeky case either
its a bad@ss case

theres no such thing as a badass case thats got lights comin off it...
surely i'm not the only one that has their pc (and two others and a laptop) running 24/7?

Yea.......Dont change your case just becasue of what other people think (by style). I mean your "guy" (symbolicly you because Its kinda like asking advice from a somone and im embaressed so you say "Well, My Friend wants this computer, and hes a total space geek) wants the lighting kind, and can live with noise, you get yourself a light up one.....spacey.

O yeah, why are you saying a girl will think your a geek cause your computer lights up, no no no. Girls thinks you guys are geeks if you talk to them about computers. If I went up to a girls room and her computer lit up. I would be like wow ****, she has a tight *** computer. Not, wow i guess shes a nerd.

you can be a geek and not talk about computers, and no1 would know about it, you can't exactly through a rug over your pc if you have guests and you don't want them to know your a geek (i'm not digging at geeks here, i'd love it if we could all be proud in public and it was acceptable, but unfortunately people are scared by us :D )

And the rapper thing, kid are you on crack, you buy expensive cars as there comfortable/fast/impress people (an expensive car will impress 90% of the western worlds population, a light up pc will impress about 3% of the western population)

teedee said:
you can be a geek and not talk about computers, and no1 would know about it, you can't exactly through a rug over your pc if you have guests and you don't want them to know your a geek (i'm not digging at geeks here, i'd love it if we could all be proud in public and it was acceptable, but unfortunately people are scared by us :D ) )
um. im not a geek, neither are my freinds, and um, were not scared of geeks. LOL what would be scared about, lol DONT HACK MY SYSTEM. And why would you throw a rug over your pc?? So if you have a computer your a geek is what your saying?

no thats not what i'm saying, what i'm saying is...
1 - rug thing - quite a few people are gonna think wtf if they see a flashing box with windows and neons and such

2 - geeks - people that don't understand computers are confused by people that do understand them, and confusion is a worrying thing.

3 - you being a geek - doing any of the following will classify you as being a geek to ALOT of people; playing cs, checking your ping with your isp ona regular basis, installing linux for fun, going to lan parties, overclocking, playing any mmorpg's, reading pc magazines, using "all your base are belong to us" in normal conversation (or making sly references to goatse for that matter) and i refuse to believe a member of this forum doesn't do any of those things. I'm a geek, all my friends kno i have very geekish tendencies, and they've admitted being confused to fcuk about me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back