As predicted, first MAC gets Intel, now MAC gets XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Introducing the Apple Macbook, in iPod white or black. Using Intels Core Duo chip, it runs both OS X and Windows XP.

Now who would have thought?

P.S. Hope this isn't old news...

Umm, the Imac, Mac Mini, and Macbook pro all had intel core duo chips before the macbook was introduced. All of which can run win xp if the apple boot camp software (or parallels/open source) is loaded and if xp is installed. I've played around using an imac that runs both osx and win xp. Win xp works well on the Imac, just a few features don't work, like the isight, remote control, etc.
If you want to learn more check out these sites.
http://onmac.net/
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

This was the first time I actual saw it ADVERTISED as a feature, dual booting the two OSes. Not like joe shmoe got XP to work in his basement kinda thing.

Well maybe it will increase their market share, who knows, but I thought the Macbook was pretty cool.

Never thought much of macs.... then again, back in the day I was an avid Atari promoter and didn't go IBM compatible until late in the game.... They have their advantages, but I'm happy they can at least go over to the PC compatible world since 90% of PC owners are already.

who gives a crap about the percentages anyway? we all know there are a lot more pc users than mac users.

we also know that apple isn't going to vanish in the comming months because more people use windows boxes.

It sucks comign to damn near every computing forum and seeing people quote these WORTHLESS stats. Nothing has really changed since about windows98 guys. The only thing that has changed is Apple has made a very nice OS that can only be ran (officially) on their hardware and hell, that hasn't even changed - when people were running DOS apple had a nice GUI that wasn't beat until windows98 at the earliest.

So what if apple has a crappy share of the pc world, they still have enough to be profitable, if you don't like them don't buy them. If you do, then great, buy their stuff.

Its very similar to a windows vs linux debate, and until recently Windows users had the advantage over macs because of processor advancements. Windows users aren't goign to have that anymore when Conroe is released.

So in conclusion, settle down on your anti mac/apple mentality and use your head a bit before you make stupid posts.

Did you have a bad day SNG? You seem a bit preturbed lately.
I don't recall any Apple bashing going on in this thread. Nor "anti mac/apple" speech. I seem to remember saying that I thought it was cool even.
I think we know who needs to "settle down" ;)

Well, I know that macs use an "EFI" instead of a traditional bios, but I also know that mac os can be run on windows PCs, just not legally. I think apple wants to be sure their software runs well on their hardware, and if they opened it up to any system, they couldn't possibly test all the variations.

it's also because apple hold's exclusive rights to it's products.

apple hardware is nothing spectacular, it's the operating system that is so good, and they know that.

if they allowed OS-X to run on a PC (legally that is), then why would anybody buy a mac?

EDIT: please note, that I am not apple-bashing here! the reason that I say "why would anybody buy a mac" is because they are so darn expensive!! you could build a cheap PC and run a superior operating system on it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back