Assigning unallocated space to existing NTFS partitions (with gParted Live)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnWarierMage224

Hi folks,

I've got a 120 GB HDD chopped up into one 42GB primary partition for Windows XP and one extended partition with a 56.9 GB logical disk for My Documents. (Never mind the sizes, they just came out that way). Anyway, this leaves me with 11.36 GB unallocated. I want to add 2 GB to each of my existing partitions and use the remaining space for a Debian Linux install.

Questions:

1. How can I add more space to the existing NTFS partitions using gParted?
2. What filesystem, if any, do I need to format the remaining unallocated space to so I can install Debian?
3. (Off topic): Is Debian even a good Linux distribution for me to start using, as I'm a complete newbie to Linux? (I've got the minimal netinstaller ISO burned to a CD)

Thanks,

-'Mage

i do not know anything about Linux so I will not offer an answer to that. but u can use Partition Magic 8.0 as it will do about anything to any partition as far as formatting, distrubutting space or anything like that and can change what it is formatted as ( NFTS, FAT, FAT32)

If you convert your current partition to "Dymanic" through Disk management, you can extend the partition. Note: Do this in Safe Mode and research it first before trying.

As for Linux, I like Ubuntu :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back