Assistance Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, My first post will be my " problem " My computer over the past 8 months has been making an unusal clicking noise, it comes from the tower. The noise creates my computer to freeze and then go to the blue screen. So i had someone try and fix the problem, it worked for about 2 weeks then the clicking started again. I have been trying to solve this problem for a while, but i nthe process my computer seemed to get worse, and now when i turn it on it goes past the dell loading screen, then where the windows loading screen is "suppose" to be i get this message. " SYSLINUX 1.67 Mandrake Linux Boot Failed." I need help to fix this problem so i can get back on my computer. My computer model is a Dell XPS Gen.4 Thanks Hope i get some help soon enough =D

The clicking sound is usually a failing or failed hard drive... particularly with Maxtor and Western Digital drives. All hard drives fail, but usually give you three good years first.
The longer you run it after it begins the clicking, the less likely you can recover all the data from it.
Suggest you get another hard drive, install it jumpered as Master, then once all software is there, install the old clicking drive as Slave it it will still turn. Then use recovery software from www.majorgeeks.com or elsewhere to save all your data... do NOT turn off the computer again until all your data is rescued from the drive.
Based on your description, it may already be too late.

hah k well thank you very much i just ordered a new hard drive, And yes mine was a crappy Maxtor. Well i guess my problem is solved thanks guys.

Well, Seagate, the reliability king, bought Maxtor over a year ago when they were awash in law suits and failed drives.
It is very possible that changed company is now producing better quality drives... though the warranties do not show that Seagate is yet confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back