ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe or ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will not notice any performance difference, by default, between the two using a 64 or FX processor... the chipset is the same and the supported memory is the same among them, along with integrated components.

The only notable difference is that the premium has a heatpipe to cool the chipset and chipset VRM on the board, and it allows you to alter voltage to the chipset. This lets it run without needing a fan (the chipset).

The latter would be better for overclocking, marginally.

Just a question, if you're spending extra to get an SLI mobo then why buy a ATI video card that can't do SLI. You my be better off waiting for crossfire boards to come out, getting a A8N non SLI or getting a 7800GTX that will go SLI.

I went with the premium and and a BFG 7800GTX OC 460/1300. Its a very good setup, and christmas I get to add another 7800! :)

I heard that Deluex has a chipset fan breakdown problem. Then I heard they fixed it, but I'd rather not worry about it. Spent the extra $$ for the Premium. You wont regret it.

Best of Luck.

truflip said:
get premium.. the deluxe is known to have bad coooling problems

Well.... sort of.

There is one fan on the chipset heatsink of the deluxe version that usually dies in the first month after you get this board. Asus is aware of this defect, and immediately will send you a new (much stronger and more powerful) heatsink and fan. All you have to do is call them up.

This fixes the problem 100%, and changing the heatsink/fan is very simple. After this fix, the board has no cooling problems whatsoever.

But, it is a shame that ASUS shipped so many boards with this faulty fan. Mine was also one of them (just purchased in August).

why not plain a8n-sli

from what i can tell, the water cooling is the main advantage to the premium vs. deluxe. there are a couple other diff that may or may not be worth the $$.
the main advantage of dx and premium over the "regular" a8n-sli seems to be that dx and prem have dual raid and dual lan capabilities - how many gamers and home users will be using these features?

regular is about $30 less than dx and $40 less than premium. i built a system with the reg. and it is awesome.

I decided not to set up dual vid cards yet- I want to see what 64-bit-windows is gonna require, then make that move. also prices should be cheaper at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back