ASUS Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbabigsexy

What is the difference between:

ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

and

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

I am thinking of buying one of these two mother boards, but the P5K is $40 cheaper than the P5K3. So I was wondering what's the biggest difference and why the $40 differential. I am getting an ASUS motherboard because I plan on installing Vista Platinum 64 with the DX10. Any ideas?

Thanks. I guess that explains the extra $40 price hike. If I want extreme OC'ing I guess it would be better to go with the P5K3.

The P5K is a more reliable board, if you do not need the overclocking... less problems.
Watch the memory selection. ASUS boards have been death on certain brands of memory. ASUS used to list acceptable memory for these boards. I don't know if they still do.

The P5K3 uses DDR3, which is a lot more expensive than DDR2 and operates at different voltages. That's the main reason for the large price difference. If you bought the P5K3, you'd have to buy DDR3 memory since that's the only RAM it supports. AFAIK, there's no real advantage of DDR3 over DDR2, so stick with the P5K. I have the P5K Deluxe and it's been an excellent board so far.

Actually, at the online sites where I buy memory, there is almost no difference between a 1 gb module of DDR2 and DDR3 by Kingston or Crucial. The OCZ and a few others get a premium for DDR3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back