ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe....SATA II???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Seuss

i am the owner of an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard but i am looking to buy a new SATA II hard disc but reading the manual it only mentions SATA I. can my motherboard handle SATA II hard disc's so i can take advantage of the 300Mbps tranfer speed?? or am i stuck with SATA I and its 150Mbps transfer speeds?

Many Thanks

Dr_Seuss

I would say that SATA II is not availible on the motherboard. Seeing as I can find nothing on the manufacturer's website about SATA II only SATA, also I'm not sure that there are any socket 478 mobos that take SATA II.

thats a real shame....guess ill just have to go for SATA then, still 150Mbps is still a little better than 133Mbps i guess. unless anyone else out there can find the info ive been searching for?

ok, another question then....so if my motherboard only supports SATA and not SATA II what would happen ifi installed a SATA II HDD? would it just run at the slower speed?
also my motherboard has 4 x SATA ports on it 2 of them are RAID, will they just work as SATA ports and not RAID if i havent installed a RAID driver? because im hoping to have 4 SATA HDD's but not have any of them in RAID format

I Would Say Positively Not.....

kitty500cat said:

In fact, I would argue that it doesn't exist. First off, it's an inflated advertising ploy. It's 3 giga BITS per second, NOT giga BYTES. Divide by 10, you get 300 MEGABYTES. Two WD Raptors in RAID 0 deliver around 100 (or so) megabytes per second, which doesn't actually saturate the bandwidth of SATA 1. On the other hand if the next generation of HDD performance is improved by some 5 times, you would be ready for it, by then you will have SATA 3, with a bandwidth of 10 giga BITS per second so that myth and truth will never collide.

Oh.........Yeah......Whoops.....

Dr_Seuss said:
ok, another question then....so if my motherboard only supports SATA and not SATA II what would happen ifi installed a SATA II HDD? would it just run at the slower speed?

Okay, I'm only going to go to the first part of your question. SATA 2 drives are backwards with SATA 1. In some cases you will need to move a jumper on the HDD. This info will be available in the "destructions" on on the Manufacturers web site.

The second part about the RAID driver issue is a bit more complex. It depends on board manufacturer and which OS you have.

I'm hoping someone else will jump in on this. (With my Intel boards I don't even have to install a RAID driver, because Intel runs SATA as IDE in an individual drive mode and you can do whatever you want with them, except RAID (of course).

The first part of you question just failed to register with me, inattentiveness I suppose. Sorry for that.

No HDD transfers data at the speed it is supposed to. That 300MB/sec number is just theoretical. The actual data transfer is mainly limited by mechanical performance, so a 7200RPM SATA HDD will perform equally good as a 7200RPM PATA HDD. And yes, SATA II HDDs will work with a SATA port.

Emily Post Would Be Proud Of You...!

"Theoretical", that's the most polite description of advertising hype I've heard in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back