Athlon 64 3500 Orleans + Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tifc8lraz

Just wondering if this chip (am2) is a good gaming cpu. Or is the Pentium D @ 2.66GHz (533fsb) better?

The only problem I have with it is it is 2.2GHz, although I am NOT aquanted with Athlon. I heard this can outpower a 3.2GHz P4, is this right?

Yes, it would outperform the old PD's and P4's (but not conroe). The Intel chip your are asking about, it wouldn't happen to be the 805 would it? The PD 805 are SUPER overclockers. You can get them up to about 3.4 on air and over 4 on water. THG did a review on this chip and verified that it can go that fast.

Also note that I can't afford a nice cooler at the moment (still pulling out money for new mobo).

I'll have more of a chance to give input when I get home, but if you get the right mobo you could upgrade in the future to a conroe processor.

Pentium D 805>3500+ Get the Pentium D because as I have stated before it can overclock like hell and in future if you wanted to upgrade to a Core 2, you could do that with just a simple BOIS update if you had the right motherboard.

I want the Pentium D, but my desicion is not yet locked. I did write a post saying that I am getting it, but that's not completely true. Give me 24 Hours to think :)

Practically! I think the Pentium D would be a tad faster though. I liked my Celeron; it was blazing fast (weird huh)?

Right now I'm restricted to a PIII @ 933MHz, and 256mb sdram. I HATE this speed!

cfitzarl said:
Right now I'm restricted to a PIII @ 933MHz, and 256mb sdram. I HATE this speed!

lol I got a Gateway that has a P3 with 1000mhz and 512mb of ram..and a GeForce 5500FX 256mb it isnt really that slow unless you start burning dvd's..

Pentium D isn't 2 Celerons with more cache... because a Celeron is just a P4 with LESS cache. So if it had more cache that makes it 2 P4 2.66s. And while Pentium D isn't the best out there it is still better than anything single core and MUCH better than anything with the name Celeron.

Both sockets offer good upgrade paths. But, I'm not sure where AMD is headed with their AM2 platform, they have been pretty quiet. From what I hear, the mobos that will handle C2D should also support the quad core cpus set to come out in the future (year or less).

Edit: If you are going on price alone, then the AMD 3500+ for AM2 is cheaper than the 805 and the mobo will be cheaper also. Don't forget, both need DDR2 memory.

Get that PD if you want to overclock it like hell, and void your warranty :p

If you don't want to void the warranty, and want a fast CPU, get the Athlon. It should be WAY faster than your old dead :dead: Celeron.

Also, you'll need great cooling, if you'll overclock the PD. At stock frequencies, they run damn hot, now imagine it overclocked....

Obviously, stock cooling won't be enough.

That's why I recommended the Athlon, if you want to cut costs as much as possible.

AMD Overclocks

I have not heard a whole ton on the overclockablity of the new AM2 based CPU's but if they are anything close to the Venice core 939 then they also overclock very well. 2.7 on air so ive heard.

Personally unless you have to, I am not going to even think about any new platform changes for the next year or so.

Yeah Conroe is great and all, but its the first chip of many to come.....From both Intel and AMD.....And knowing intel, every new chip they make is going to require a new chipset (i.e. motherboard) Although AMD isnt much better now a days. I think as many said AM2 was a easy way to jump into the DDR-II game. Other than that I am pretty certain that the next big thing from AMD is not going to be socket AM2 based.

Technically I am not getting into the DDR-II race until it becomes a standard and there is a significant performance increase over standard DDR with reasonably priced memory.

I have a AM2 X2 4400+ sitting on e-bay right now because If i used it I would have to upgrade my mobo and my memory wich i do not want to do.

And we are talking about quad-core ? I know and have researched this myself, but isnt that a little much ? We havnt even begun to get a software base for double threaded applications yet let alone quad threaded. Dual core is nice because yes, you can enode a DVD while burning one. But how much faster do you think quad core is going to be ?

In theory you can burn a DVD, encode a movie, play a game and scan for virus's all at the same time, but dont you think that Memory is going to be the bottleneck when it comes to doing that many things at one time ?

Even with the bandwidth of DDR-II 1066mhz your going to notice lots of lagg when trying to do 4 things at once. Do you not agree ? I notice that with dual core. Yeah I can encode a movie and play F.E.A.R but do my frame rates drop ? And does the encoding take a little longer ? Yes it does, because it is allocating memory to each task in return making less avaliable for each task.

So I guess I would have to say my advice is to get the cheepest platform that you can survive with for the next year or so. Almost any P4 or AM2 single core will be pretty cheap. Unlike me, if your buying a new system go with a DDR-II chasis. I myself have $300 stuck into DDR so the jump to DDR-II at this time wouldnt be very cost effective for a few extra FPS in games.

Sorry im throwing a ton of ways to look at things out there but it is a confusing time in terms of system configurations.

Another thought is chipsets, of course Intel is going to make their own for ever, making it a necessity to buy a new motherboard every time a new CPU comes out. But AMD is not going to have Nvidia as a backer for too much longer either. AMD's buy out of ATI is a certainty of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back