ATHLON To Pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molongal

Hi am currently in the process of purchasing a PC. However i need help to make my decision. I have found an ideal PC for my needs but am not sure on the processor it is an Athlon and i have no idea about them as i have never used them.

The chip is an AMD AthlonXP 2800+ 333fsb barton
i was just wondering what the pentium 4 equivilent is so i can make a fair comparison

A very rough equivalent (some people would murder me for making such a comparison) would be 2.8 or 2.7 GHz P4, at least according to AMD itself.

Your experience will depend on what sort of work you will be doing with your computer.

What price are you getting on that PC? I was just wondering, i dont know anything about athlon but why is there only 333fsb? that's a bit low dont u think? All the pentium 4's are 800 even though mine is a 533 (god damnit if i had waited just another week I'd have 800).
Anyways I think athlon 2800 is about 2.7-2.8ghz. (although the pentium performs best) ; )

Don't say something ambiguous such as "pentiums perform best", because, "at best", it is inaccurate and potentially false. The 2800+ is intended to compete with the 2.8ghz p4 range in terms of performance, and IMO it should be compared directly with that if you want raw number for number differences.

I would go with a 2.6 or 2.4 Pentium4. If choosing AMD then 2500+ Barton is still a good buy or get a 2600+ Barton

A useful plase for info. on Athlon chips is their website, http://www.amd.com. I know it's sounds ambiguous but it's the truth. I myself have been there a lot lately having purchased the Athlon 64 3200 chip. Can't seem to find a mobo that will run at the 1600Mhz bus that the chip can. Any help?

Originally posted by atlasm
A useful plase for info. on Athlon chips is their website, http://www.amd.com. I know it's sounds ambiguous but it's the truth. I myself have been there a lot lately having purchased the Athlon 64 3200 chip. Can't seem to find a mobo that will run at the 1600Mhz bus that the chip can. Any help?

Have you checked the Asus K8V Deluxe? I'm not quite sure on the system bus speed, but I've recently assembled one of these for our customer and the system is rock solid....truly a pleasure to work with this board.

If you want to save money, the Athlon XP is the way to go. For my brother, I don't want to spend $160 on a 2.4C P4, so I'm going with the 2500+. It's only $90! :D

Also, Athlon XP is actually very good. Both P4 and XP have their own faults and positives.

PLUS! AMD is best for viewing many movies and playing very heavy graphics similarity to BF1942 setting into ultra high (custom)

Let's not get into another AMD/Intel debate... those always end up with bloodshed. Suffice to say it is good that we have two large companies competing head to head, a plus for the consumers (us!).

well said 'harvester
both AMD and P4 have good sides and bad side
in terms of performance
a 2800+ will equal or occasionally outstrip a 2.8ghz P4 when it comes to games - but movie or mp3 encoding the P4 wins hands down. So you plan to building a gaming system the AMD has the advantage because you get the same performance at half the price - if you like encoding movies then get the P4

Steg

i'd recommend , if you can find them get a 2.66B ($215CAD where i live) and a Asus P4G8X-DLX ($83CAD where i live). dont be fooled by the price, the motherboard is a really good board. it was reatiling for $300+ last year. it is built on the i7205 granite bay chipset, which was a duall channel ddr chipset for 533mhz bus pentium4 cpus. it is based on i7505 xeon chipset, so you can bet it is rock solid. and it performs similar to a springdale/canterwood system using 533mhz bus cpus. it also comes with gigabit lan integrated, just to show how highend this motherboard is. unfortunatley, it is no longer in production so if you can find some for very low prices. i was considering the same mobo/cpu combo when i was building my system about 6 months ago, but at the time the price of the mombo was still $250, so i opted for the abit is7 and 2.4c. but now that the price has dropped, it is definetly worth a look.

Go with the Athlon XP, for the money saved, you wont regret it. And it is comparable to the Pentium 4 2.8Ghz.

I switched from Intel to AMD back in 1998 and have never looked back. I was able to see one-on-one comparison with two exact computers. What was the difference? Maybe the blink of an eye. The AMD will save you money and, there are as many motherboards for AMD Athlon as there are Intel Pentium 4's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back