ati 128mb 9600 video card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisoneguy

I took out my geforce mx400 and replaced with my new ati 128mb 9600 video card. Installed it properly and then when it goes to windows xp it slows down my pc and sometimes freezes.

Here are the specs to my computer:

ATOP ATX833-BLACK CASE 350 WATT W/ SIDE-PANEL WINDOW
AMD Athlon XP-2400+ Processor
ASUS A7N8X-X nVidia nForce-2 400 FSB 8X AGP w/ USB2.0, LAN, &; AUDIO
512 MB (256MBx2) PC3200 400MHz
80GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE Dual Channel DDR MEMORY

I updated the drivers for my motherboard and other updates for windows xp. What could be the problem? Is it the power supply, maybe I need a better power supply. :suspiciou

Did you remove the driver and all apps for the old card first? You could try booting into into safe mode by pressing f8 before xp starts then selecting safe mode. When it has finished booting open the start menu then goto settings then control panel. Once there, click on system then hardware then device manager. Goto display adapters and uninstall anything to do with the nvidia card. Once thats done, you need to go to add/ remove programs and uninstall all nvidia apps, then finally reboot and see if that helps. If that doesnt work, do the same again and uninstall ALL display adapters and reboot.

There are one or two other things to try if it still wont work properly, so let me know how you get on. Hope that helps. Rik.

I've been having the same problem with my old ATI 9200 card. When I rebuilt my older system, the drivers keep crashing the system.

It used to work fine before. I tried the original driver and i get the BDOD, when I use the latest drivers, they are unstable and will lock the system eventually. I think it has to do with direct x.

rik said:
Did you remove the driver and all apps for the old card first? You could try booting into into safe mode by pressing f8 before xp starts then selecting safe mode. When it has finished booting open the start menu then goto settings then control panel. Once there, click on system then hardware then device manager. Goto display adapters and uninstall anything to do with the nvidia card. Once thats done, you need to go to add/ remove programs and uninstall all nvidia apps, then finally reboot and see if that helps. If that doesnt work, do the same again and uninstall ALL display adapters and reboot.

There are one or two other things to try if it still wont work properly, so let me know how you get on. Hope that helps. Rik.

I did your method but it did not work any more suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back